Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibernation during MVP playback

Hibernation during MVP playback

I have problem with trying to use the Windows Hibernation mode. I have this setup so that the unit will hibernate after 15mins on inactivity. This works fine for recordings as the PC will wake, record and then go back to hibernation mode. However, if I'm trying to watch a movie via the MVP, then it will go into hibernation mode after about 20 mins. I have tried the BIOS setting for power management and I have come to the conclusion that Windows XP works independently of these. I surfed the microsoft home page and found a this article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899975/

which suggests that XP uses this scheme

There is no user input.
    • CPU and disk utilization levels are less than 10 percent.
    • The system is not running on battery power.
    • No presentation program, such as a slide show or a movie player, is running.

I monitored my PC and during playback there is virtually no CPU usage and I assume that the disk monitoring is either not working or the large 8Mb cache is keeping the disk below this usage level. I even underclocked the PC ( 133FSb to 100FSB ), and CPU usage rose to 2-4% , but it still goes into standby.

So, how to solve the problem ?

Sub - is there any hooks in to the MVP playback server at the start and end of playing a file, so I can add something to suppress entering standby/hibernation. -OR- could this be added to the main GBPVR code. ?

Or maybe someone else has already solved this problem.

Thanks, Vit.

I have the same problem and have for the last 6 months. My PC is a P4 3.0 Ghz, with SATA and 1 Gig if RAM. I changed my hibernation timer to 2 hours to avoid the annoyance during playback. I'm using an MPV. I think this does most of the encoding in hardware, further reducing CPU utilization.

Quote Originally Posted by tkeay
    I have the same problem and have for the last 6 months. My PC is a P4 3.0 Ghz, with SATA and 1 Gig if RAM. I changed my hibernation timer to 2 hours to avoid the annoyance during playback. I'm using an MPV. I think this does most of the encoding in hardware, further reducing CPU utilization.
    I too am having this problem with almost identical problems.

I had thought of a sort of workaround of only allowing hibernation late at night, so that during the evening, when I do most of my TV watching, the PC is on a non-hibernation power scheme, and reverts to the power-saving hibernation scheme late at night, until perhaps 5pm the next day. That way, it will conserve power, without missing anyrecordings, and will probably not hibernate during playback.

I have not found a program that will change the power schemes at specifit times, though. Has anyone else had any ideas?

Thanks,

Ro

I had the same issue, but solved it. Can't remember specifically what I did, but I know it did have to do with the BIOS settings... something with network activity keeping the system from hibernating, or PCI activity. Sorry I can't be any more specific.
    Regards,
    Hasso

Server: NPVR 2.2.6, Asus E35M1-M PRO motherboard, 2 x 2GB DDR-1333 memory, 1 x 1.5TB SATA Samsung HD, 2 x 2TB SATA Seagate Green HD, 1 x Hauppauge HD4400, 2 x Hauppauge Nova T 500, Windows 7 Home.
    Clients: EGreat M34A with MVPMCX2; HDX1000 with MVPMCX2 and internal 2TB SATA Seagate Green HD.

Sounds strange that the disk activity wouldnt be enough to keep your machine awake.

My XP2400 based system will also go into standbye while the MVP is playing. There is still some disc activity while playing a file, but very little cpu usage.

I'll check out the network usage in the bios, but I agree with vitesse pilot, I doubt windows xp uses that setting.
    PVR:
    Biostar 200N SFF/XP 2400+/1GB PC3200/MSI FX5200/PVR150/Samsung 160 GByte HD
    MVP:

Same Problem here, Sempron 2400, 1 Gig RAM, going to Hybernate while watching movies via MVP.

Have you seen the Power Management Plugin http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=2019 ?

I belive this is the right workaround for me...

hibernate tool

òla,

try using this tool: http://www.bitkiller.com/index.php?url=hibernateatidle

regards
    joeg

Can anyone with more language/Windows knowledge enlighten me on why it's only appropriate on a Gemran OS?

Achtung: Das Programm funktioniert nur mit einem deutschen Betriebssystem. Wie ich das mal ändern kann, weiß ich noch nicht und zur Zeit besteht ja auch noch kein Bedarf.