Thread: Set Priority of GBPVRRecordingService.exe

Thumbs up Set Priority of GBPVRRecordingService.exe

Would it be possible to have a command-line switch for GBPVRRecordingService.exe, to allow us to set the process priority via the service's "parameters" interface?

I'd like to set the recording service to high priority, since it seems MAME grabs all available CPU resources even if it doesn't need them, causing CPU assignment delays to the recording service that render the recorded videos so blocky and jumpy that they are unwatchable, even though recording only requires 5% of the CPU on my system. I think that setting it to high priority would prevent this.

Edit: and before anyone says it, yeah, I know I could run MAME in low priority! I've tried it, it works fine, and the recording is no longer blocky or jumpy. I guess this is just a wishlist request, so that I could have the GBPVR recording service get prioritized over all other applications running.
    Last edited by Zod; 2005-08-11 at 12:01 AM.

XP SP2 + Latest Hotfixes, GBPVR v0.98.8, AMD Sempron 2500+, Abit VA-20, 512MB PC3200 RAM, Gigabyte Radeon 9250 128 MB VIVO AGP, ATI TV Wonder Elite PCI w/ Remote Wonder Plus, Creative Audigy 2 Value, 2x Seagate ATA/100 7200.7 IDE
    ---
    Officer, have you ever heard of "Snow Crash"...?

Try editing the config.xml and changing the following setting:

<ForceHighPriorityRecordingService>true</ForceHighPriorityRecordingService>

Very nice, thanks! It only sets it to "AboveNormal" rather than "High" priority, but I'm sure it will be quite sufficient for my needs. Now I feel bad that my roommate wrote an exectuable to manually set the process priority.

Maybe sometime, rather than having it true/false, allow a numerical value from 0-15 for setting the priority, or just have the basic Windows options (Low, BelowNormal, Normal, AboveNormal, High). Maybe overkill, though. Thanks again!

XP SP2 + Latest Hotfixes, GBPVR v0.98.8, AMD Sempron 2500+, Abit VA-20, 512MB PC3200 RAM, Gigabyte Radeon 9250 128 MB VIVO AGP, ATI TV Wonder Elite PCI w/ Remote Wonder Plus, Creative Audigy 2 Value, 2x Seagate ATA/100 7200.7 IDE
    ---
    Officer, have you ever heard of "Snow Crash"...?

Hey Sub, would it be simple to have the MVP servers inherit the priority from GBPVRRecordingService? My wife is blaming me cause I slow down "her" MVP when I play or do stuff on the PVR...

maybe in a future release

I'll second the request.

Quote Originally Posted by LilY0da
    Hey Sub, would it be simple to have the MVP servers inherit the priority from GBPVRRecordingService? My wife is blaming me cause I slow down "her" MVP when I play or do stuff on the PVR...
    GB-PVR - ShowAnalyzer
    Server 2003 - 4 tuners
    1 TeraByte of disk space
    4 MVPs

Wink Process viewer

Hi,

I was strugling with the same problem (WAF-factor) especially when some of the recordings turned out to have lots of droped frames. I found out that this happened when the PC was already very bussy and I used Skype at that time (my GBPVR box serves as server also). Skype puts istelf automatically in high priotity when calling.

I found a little utility that is able to change the priority of almost any process and can be batch-filed: http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm.
    I made a batch file in my GBPVR directory and put a shortcut in the windows startup folder. I set the GBPVRrecordingservice and the GBPVR.exe (MVP server) to high priority. This seems to do the trick.

I have some hope that it will also help with the MVP "contacting servers" problem.
    Last edited by Koenie; 2005-10-08 at 03:42 PM.
    Regards Koen,

GBPVR 1.4.7
    AMD 780G with X2 BE2350, 2gb ram, LCD-TV, Win XP
    PVR500, PVR150 & PVC150 MCE MediaMVP D3A, 2 networked clients

Manually altering the priority of things just leads to problems. How about you manually alter skype to be lower priority and leave everything else at its default.