Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish list - Installation Wizard

Wish list - Installation Wizard

As much as I love new features, I'm sure that NextPVR can already provide 95% of what most people need, but getting there is such a chore/pain.

I'd like to see an installation/configuration wizard that could:
    1. Search out what you have, Hardware, Tuners, OS
    2. make suggestions/have defaults, ask if this is server or extender set up
    3. Install appropriate .net based on your Windows version if missing including patches maybe
    4. Interview you as to what your hardware is if not all completely detectable
    5. What add-ons you'd like installed configured or downloaded (such as Comskip or TV GUIDEPLUS or XBMC or handbrake) etc
    6. Where your recording folder(s) and other folders are located
    7. Build basic .BAT files for the guide download and steps necessary for other guide config like Schedules Direct if installation or subscription is needed
    8. Additional .BAT files for the above mentioned in progress or post processing as needed
    9. Set the appropriate CODEC and have a test to ensure audio/video operation
    10. Ability to clear old DB, import in new recordings, resolve meta data into the database
    11. Download AC3 filter, or provide opportunity to do so in-line of the wizard manually
    12. Update firewall settings
    13. Check to see if there is a newer version of NPVR out there
    14. Backs up the configuration before making changes
    15. Based on TV resolution or recording quality set type/size of screen and video recording and what type of file to record as if possible
    16. Auto Channel scan
    17. Set up of Web admin
    18. Settings for extenders like RPi, NMT, and others
    19. Remote control configuration?

I'm sure there are many other items which could be added to this list, just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure this has already been requested, I just wanted to emphasize some of the struggles I've had configuring the system.

I'd say at least out of the box then you'd have a lot less help requests and more acceptance about how it is to set up and ultimately use NextPVR. I like to tinker and modify the system and these steps won't get rid of that, but a basic working model could up and running more reliably and quickly.
    Server - Windows 64 Home Premium, Intel E8400 3.0ghz, 2gb memory, NVidia 7600GT

**I've donated, have you?**

While some of these things I'm sure could be added, you have to remember that NextPVR is written by one person in his spare time, so some things lose out on the priority list. That said, there are a couple of things on the list that will probably never be implemented.

#11 specifically would require sub to pay Dolby licensing fees for every copy of NextPVR that is downloaded and that is simply not sustainable with free software.
    #9 is possible with preinstalled codecs but there are so many possible system/decoder configurations that will or will not work well.
    #13 is already implemented. NextPVR will notify you on startup if there is a newer version available.
    #14 is already implemented. NextPVR will save a copy of your config.xml on updates and scheduled/existing recordings data is exported at various times (EPG updates, updates, etc.)

My thought was kinda three fold with this request.

1. Get a workable system as simply as possible. To get more people involved and wanting to help out financially or otherwise.
    2. To reduce the number of simple questions which get asked and re-asked on the forums...which...
    3. Frees up some of Subs time to do more coding on the system. It would be nice to hear that Sub got some coding help though since his time is so limited.

In regards to your reply, AC3 Filter gives it away looking for donations, not sure why anyone would need to pay something to Dolby. With the right communications, they'd probably let you bundle AC3 filter in with the system or like I mentioned an in-line install edition.
    There are quite a few codecs, but it does seem a bit like roulette trying to get the right combination. Beyond TV has this type of confirmation that you can see, hear and change channels when complete. I didn't think it would be too bad to have a series of most likely combinations put up to the user, then click yes if it is good type of thing.
    The last two I guess I never experienced since I have only seen two revisions and did clean installs, but it's good to hear, thanks.
    Server - Windows 64 Home Premium, Intel E8400 3.0ghz, 2gb memory, NVidia 7600GT

**I've donated, have you?**

Quote Originally Posted by Jakesty View Post
    ...not sure why anyone would need to pay something to Dolby...
    Because an AC3 decoder uses Dolby intelectual property. Dolby might or might not sue sub (it's their perogative) if he included an AC3 decoder but if they did it would probably be the end of sub financially and the end of NextPVR. Not a chance he is willing to take.

FYI:

MPEG2/H.264 licensing fees are paid to MPEG-LA.
    AAC/HE-AAC licensing fees are paid to Via Licensing.
    Dolby licensing fees are paid to Dolby Laboratories.

All licensing fees are paid on end user software not OEM. AC3 filter could license their decoder to sub without them paying licensing fees (sub would be their OEM client), sub would then pay the licensing fees for each copy included with NextPVR (the end user product).

Another problem with decoders is that it depends on the individual setup including OS and type of signal which decoders work best. I run Vista so unlike Windows 7 there is no suitable Microsoft video decoder supplied. For me ffdshow works well but for others they don't work well at all. The Cyberlink decoders seem to work well for most people but they obviously cannot be included with NextPVR.

I think the reality is that NPVR is designed to work in too many different configurations for any sort of simple wizard to be possible. It would either not help enough people to be worth the bother, or to help 90% of users it would be too much work to implement.

I'm not suggesting the installation procedure can't be improved, only that a hand-holding wizard likely isn't feasible.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

My UAC aware NMTInstall program already does a lot of the leg work downloading all the requirements dotnet too if it's not found on XP. It even opens the firewall. I use it all the time in vm testing

The biggest drawbacks of automating it further, are

- the old-school myths of codec packs breaking things
    - ACFilter love combined with ffdshow audio and video hate
    - struggling unnecessarily with old machines and XP.
    - users not liking installers,

Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    - struggling unnecessarily with old machines and XP.
    There seems to be a fair number of us utilizing old hardware in server client/extender situation & in this situation I personally (as long as xp can be made to behave) can't see the need to give M$oft any extra tax to update the op'sys

- users not liking installers,
    I'm in the "I don't like installers" camp "if" there is no documentation as to what they are actually going to do.... with this documentation I'm then firmly in the "I really like installers that work well" camp.

Jaggy, exactly my point. Damned if you do write an installer because half the forums member don't like them, and damned when you don't support XP.

Martin

I think a how-to would help the new people. If I had a HD-Homerun, I'd write one, but don't. But, could just about write one from following the forum.

I'll stand up to being in the AC3 fond, ffdshow adverse camp. Sorry. I have had nothing but success with AC3 filter and nothing but failure with ffdshow, even considering that I know to enable mpeg2, and choose the correct libavcodec and whitelist NPVR. Clearly, ffdshow has a lot of features, and could/would be of benefit to advanced users.

For those just starting out, I think AC3 filter and MS DTV decoder (if you're on Win 7) are the way to go. If you're on XP, then good luck. Some folks make it work, others don't. I'm one of the others.

It is what it is.
    HTPC: E7500, Nvidia 9500GT, ATI Theater 650Pro/Firewire Network Recorder/Avermedia Duet A188, NPVR 3.1.1, Win7 Pro
    Test: Asrock 890GM Pro 3, Athlon X2 255 , internal HD4290, ATI Theater 650Pro, NPVR 3.1.1, Win7 Home Premium
    Backup: Athlon 3200, Nvidia 7600GT, Network Recorder, NPVR 2.5.5, Win7 Home Premium