Thread: "Database Locked" error.

"Database Locked" error.

One of my NextPVR Vista Clients regularly locks up when "TV Guide" or "Recordings" are selected after it boots up. In task manager NPVR is listed as "Not Responding" but have only just realised that if I wait about two minutes there is the SQL "Database Locked" error.

Today after rebooting the client I still get the "Locked" error but if I click "OK" after a couple of minutes I get an empty TV Guide. I started the other client and this gets no errors when it tries to access the database. One client regularly gets these errors and the other dosnt. I rebooted the server and both clients can now access the database. However the server reboots overnight so any locks let from the previous night would have cleared.

As for as I can tell the Windows setup is the same for both clients, both with UAC off and starting NextPVR from the same batch file in "Startup" which starts the NextPVR server using WOL if it is sleeping.

I have enclosed NPVR.log from the client for a database lock but there is nothing else covering this time in the Windows or NextPVR logs of the client or server.

Quote Originally Posted by jcjefferies View Post
    I have enclosed NPVR.log.
    Not 'ere you ain't.
    AMD A75, 4 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N210
    1 x Blackgold BGT3620 dual DVB-T2
    1 x kworld USB dual DVB-T (IT9135)
    2 x Hauppauge Nova-t PCI

NPVR.log attached. Very odd as it was listed below under Manage Attachments.

The client works today!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I get Database Locked but only very rarely and I run only one machine that has the client and recording service. I suspect that the db sometimes gets in a pickle if it is asked to do more than one thing at a time. For example, I use the NextPVR.exe to request a Quick Recording at the same time that the Recording Service starts a recording in the background. The quickest "fix" for me is to restart the Recording Service.

From your log it appears that key presses begin within about 10 seconds of startup. Is there less locking if you wait longer for NextPVR to finish initialising (whatever that might involve!)?
    Last edited by Graham; 2013-02-05 at 11:11 AM.
    AMD A75, 4 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N210
    1 x Blackgold BGT3620 dual DVB-T2
    1 x kworld USB dual DVB-T (IT9135)
    2 x Hauppauge Nova-t PCI

Its difficult to track down as it dosnt happen every time the client is started. As it only seems to happen to one particular client logic says the problem is with that client but as a computer engineer I know computer faults are not always logical! When the fault last happened two days ago the problem remained after several client reboots the client was left on one occasion until the disk activity stopped but the error remained.

An outside possibility is that the problem client is trying to access the server too soon after WOL. The client that works is a 3GHZ P4 but the problem client is a twin core 3GHZ Athlon which seems to start the WOL script earlier as it already running when the desktop appears. If the server does not respond to a ping then a WOL is sent followed by another ping 10 seconds later and a another after a further 10 seconds. When the server responds then NPVR is started. However today for the first time I have had several "npvr.db3 not found" errors which disappeared after I increased the delay to 15 seconds. It remains to be seen if this delay cures the lock problem as well.