Thread: Client Unable to connect to recording service

Client Unable to connect to recording service

I'm having a strange issue, my Client can connect to the Server PVR and get guide information... but Live TV does not appear to work. I see the following error in the Logs:

2012-08-22 21:20:08.801 [ERROR][1] Unexpected socket exception calling StartStream(): System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.1.101:8968

Server stack trace:
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(EndPoint remoteEP)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection. CreateNewSocket(EndPoint ipEndPoint)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection. CreateNewSocket()
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection. GetSocket()
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketCache.GetSo cket(String machinePortAndSid, Boolean openNew)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTran sportSink.SendRequestWithRetry(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTran sportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientForma tterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleRe turnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateI nvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
    at NShared.IRecordingService.StartStream(Int32 channelOID, String target, Int32 previousHandle, ChannelMapping& channelMapping, String& reason)
    at NShared.RecordingServiceProxy.StartStream(Int32 channelOID, String target, Int32 previousHandle, ChannelMapping& channelMapping, String& reason)

Thoughts?

The Client PC is Windows XP.

Quote Originally Posted by jamhandman View Post
    I'm having a strange issue, my Client can connect to the Server PVR and get guide information... but Live TV does not appear to work. I see the following error in the Logs:

2012-08-22 21:20:08.801 [ERROR][1] Unexpected socket exception calling StartStream(): System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.1.101:8968
    It sounds like you file share is setup correctly, allowing it to read the listsings etc from the npvr.db3 database. This doesn't require any communication to the server.

The client cant connect to the server to ask it to do anything though, so either the recording service is not running on the server, or you've got firewall software getting in the way. Probably the latter.

I would have to agree with the Firewall being the issue. I did open port 8866 when I attempted to use the web interface. What other ports should I open? Or should I add a program as an exception to windows firewall on the server. Thanks.

You should add exceptions for NRecord.exe, NextPVR.exe and NDigitalHost.exe

Also keep in mind, depending on the firewall software you have installed, it could be either outgoing firewall on the client, or incoming firewall on the server.

I'm just using the firewall built in to windows... so I'll add the exceptions to both. Thanks

Working great now. This is one of the top features of the product. Great work!