Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New user - overall impressed, but have found a couple of niggles.

New user - overall impressed, but have found a couple of niggles.

I recently bought a dongle that came with Blaze TV - which was diabolical - and prompted me to look for an alternative. Npvr represents a significant improvement... but there are a couple of niggles - and I wonder if I'm the only one experiencing these problems... perhaps they are configuration specific?

1. I've found dozens of channels - but only about half of them are a usable quality... almost certainly, this is down to the quality of my aerial - but this is not something I can easily address - I'm happy to stick to the channels I receive clearly... but I can't see a way to remove the channels for which reception is poor. I've found I can create a new group.. but then I have to explicitly select this new group each time I want to change channels - which is frustrating.
    2. I can't seem to find any way to change the order in which channels are presented in the EPG...
    3. Sometimes, my mouse pointer disappears... and I'm not sure why... when over nPVR windows... such as the channel selection window.

Overall, it's a great bit of software... it would be even better if I could resolve these minor gripes...

Right click on screen to get into settings
    A1.refer to subs answer below its better than mine was (or just give them a high number in the next answer)
    A2.to reorder goto channels and highlight the channel you want to change select details another window opens change the number.
    A3.not sure why. what renderer are you using ?(not something i would care about id buy a remote ,makes npvr even better )
    Last edited by stustunz; 2012-08-17 at 08:17 PM.
    Specs
    Server:Cpu-Intel i3,ATI Radeon HD 5670 ,OS-Windows 7,2gig ram. 2xHvr4400,Nova-s plus(dvb-s SD),hvr2210(dvb-t HD)
    Client:Cpu-AMD am2,Gpu-Ati HD2100 integrated ,OS-Windows 7,2gig ram
    Client:Cpu Intel 2 gig ram ,Nvidia 9400
    Client:Popcorn Hour A110
    Client:Samsung [NZ][DVB-s][2012]BD-E5900x2
    Client:Samsung [NZ][DVB-s][2013]BD-F6500

1. Go to Settings->Channels. Highlight the channels you dont want, then click the 'delete button'.
    3. The app autohides the mouse pointer after a few seconds of inactivity over the nextpvr window. If you move the mouse again it should reappear. Most people are sitting back on the couch driving the app with a remote. They last thing they want is to see a mouse pointer on the screen annoying them. That said, I know there is a couple of times this logic can get confused when you popup another window. In this situation the mouse pointer should reappear, but sometimes it doesn't.

I see annoyance 3 all the time and I have reported it before, it is especially apparent with newer features if you use the mouse to navigate groups or within PIP. NextPVR will auto hide the mouse cursor after some period of time but if there is a windows dialog open (again group, channel select, PIP) when the cursor hides I sometimes have to fight to get it display again, in fact I often cannot find it and must use the keyboard cursor keys.

Martin

Thanks for those suggestions.... "sod's law" allowed me to sort out deleting the bogus channels just after having posted... sorry for having been 'dumb'...

I'm using the EVR renderer - according to my settings - it was the default, I've not fiddled with it.

It might be helpful to know that I'm running this on a laptop with an external monitor configured to be my primary... I'm using the laptop's panel as my TV...

Give this patch a go. It might help with #3.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    It definitely helps... I've not tested it fully - but it does work better than the released version.

BTW - is there a way to show the signal quality/strength to help decide which of two duplicated channels I want to keep?

No there isn't. Unfortunately there is no standard on how quality/strength is reported, with most device manufacturers reporting the numbers in different ways, and some manufactures just reporting a hardcoded made up number in the presence of a signal lock. This makes it pretty much useless, so I never built in functionality around these numbers. The app does log the reported values in the nrecord.log file though when it tunes to a channel.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Much appreciated, works great. I use my NMT and extenders for the big screen and the remote is great for that (except for the number of remotes I used) but like the OP my laptop display is now my second TV and using the mouse is the best way to do a lot of things.

Martin

Much appreciated from me too for #3, helps with debugging on the PC!

k.
    ASUS P5K-PRO Q9300 @ 2.5GHz | Win7 x64 | 6GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD3400 PCIe Video Card | 1 x PVR-150 | 2 x WinTV DMB-TH | Various HD's | AC66U | USB-UIRT | PCH-A100 |
    If you've ever become frustrated because something in GBPVR or NPVR is not working, take a moment and consider this and this and this and this and this and this. Credit where credit's due; for one guy (with a wife and two kids), most problems are solved outrageously quickly. Patience.