Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long delay starting NPVR on client after wake

Long delay starting NPVR on client after wake

I have a long delay (>20 s) when starting NPVR on clients (from when I launch the exe until I see the main menu). This only occurs after I wake up the client PC from sleep. Presumably, it might not be able to connect right away to the shared drive containing the database. Does the program have some kind of loop where it keeps trying to connect where the time between retries might be able to be shortened? Note that the delay apparently occurs before the log file is written so no delay shows up in there. Also, the NPVR shared drive on the server is set to not spin down.

I'm guessing the SQLite DLL has gone to open the db3 file, and the windows 'open file' call has just taken a really long time to return because its taken time for it to re-establish the network share connection. This isn't the sort of thing the app has any control over though.

If my host has gone to sleep, there are two slow steps, one for to get an annoying not very HTPC friendly message box that the file can't be open and then an equally long pause when it seems nothing is going on.

Code:

2012-08-11 22:24:50.474	[DEBUG][1]	Created mutex. Must be only instance.
    2012-08-11 22:24:50.911	[DEBUG][1]	STARTUP_COMPLETE
    2012-08-11 22:25:33.377	[ERROR][1]	Unable to query server recording directories
    2012-08-11 22:25:38.502	[DEBUG][1]	Frame Render Rate=10.5062055587769
    I added a WOL task to the client since the server will still go to sleep after the client is loaded, and even the main menu stalls like this making it tough to get to the task.

@cncb make sure you use IP address, if you aren't already, twenty seconds is nothing when you do netbios style dns through the master browser.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    @cncb make sure you use IP address, if you aren't already, twenty seconds is nothing when you do netbios style dns through the master browser.
    Is it possible to use the IP address for the database share name? I use it for the "ServerName" but I can't get it to work for the "DatabaseShare".

Quote Originally Posted by cncb View Post
    Is it possible to use the IP address for the database share name? I use it for the "ServerName" but I can't get it to work for the "DatabaseShare".
    You should ba able to use "\\Ipadress\sharename" in the sharename field.

"Show me your passport and I'll tell you who you are"
    (new Norwegian saying)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf View Post
    You should ba able to use "\\Ipadress\sharename" in the sharename field.
    Unfortunately, it says it cannot find the database when I try this.

You should be able to do that. If you type it into the address bar of Windows Explorer, does it take you to the directory?

Weird, it was giving me the error from NPVR so I put the path with the IP into Windows Explorer, it opened up to that directory and now it works fine from NPVR?? I will have to try it on another client PC.

After a restart I get the same behavior. I get an error in NPVR until I open up the path with the IP in Windows Explorer. Any ideas?

Sorry, no - I'm not really sure what to suggest on that one. I'm guessing it is something to do with the SMB file system taking a long time to re-establish the connection when asked to open a file after rebooting. You could try running some batch file before hand to make sure the connection is made before starting NextPVR. Its only shuffling around the delay though, and unlikely to make anything quicker.