Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaming & DB Access.

Streaming & DB Access.

I know these are not easy, but they are wishes.

1. Move to a network version of SQLite

http://sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=SqliteNetwork

2. Eliminate the need to Share the Data Directory across the network

3. Have the installer ask user if they want to run the NPVR software in client mode, or server mode and install it with those settings.

4. Import Media directory settings from Server.

5. Ability to stream from the NPVR server media from server media directories eliminated need for client to access them.

6. Fix issues with Installer errors for different OS'es such as Windows XP getting error for Windows 6.X OS style user directorys.

7. Have installer ask user if they want to use default data directory

8. Have installer to not install & start recording service, if user selects client mode.

9. headless ie. run as a service mode for server, so the gui isn't loaded.

I am listing these as I am finding them doing an install of 2.55.
    Last edited by skl111; 2012-08-06 at 08:01 AM.

i second most all of that, but not sure net sqlite is needed really..
    3 thru 8 are long overdue...
    5 sounds like only tricky one, most of others are installer issues..[simple?]
    9 is undoable as the gui is how you access server settings screen.

that said, nice release, i appreciate the archive, import and multi-rec dirs...
    Last edited by pBS; 2012-08-06 at 08:51 AM.
    1. C2D 1.6ghz XPPro, ATI HD4650lowprofile,Cat 8.11, Aver M780, KWorld PCI 120, MVP, GBpvr 1.4.7, Comm. Skin. VFD, Imon plugin w/SmartieLCD[custom]
    2. C2D 2.53, XPPro, ATI HD3450, Kworld 330U, Comm. Skin, GBpvr 1.4.7
    Author: Pvrx2 utils- Simple Archiver.bat, NTFSLinker [Junction gui]
    Universal Util: MCE Remote no-software trick and Shutdown Protector
    3. Zotac Mini ITX G41[$84] + ati 650pro pcie[$29], Celeron duo[$22] BDRom drive [$48]

I am going through a pc host to client/headless transition, and while that list looks big, I installed the client on a new client in a couple of minutes so this is not a high priority for me. The Recording screen and EPG are a bit sluggish but that alone wouldn't cause me to ask for the major change to another networked database. I got the errors in #6 on an Win 7 clean install too and that was the only thing that was an issue.

I created a symlink for Media and no I can share this across my machines.

Martin

It's low priority for me, but one day you might see a release that doesn't require the network share for database access. It's unlikely you'll be able to stream all media files from the server's video library though. The reality is that when you're talking about any files that are non-.ts, then people use a huge variety of different directshow filters for playing these files, written by all sorts of companies and non-commercial projects, and the majority of these are only capable of reading directly from the local file system and have no hooks for applications to provide the data from it's own source (like streamed from a NextPVR server).

My reasoning for the Network db(doesn't have to be SQLITE) is to eliminate the file permission issues, and the same with the streaming. Yes I can set them, but to make it easier for other users who are trying to get this installed and can't quite figure out the right permissions.

sub, fyi, STV uses ffmpeg for it's streaming(placeshifting and also in the extenders), but not fileshare access, i think they use their own protocal.
    (I know your not STV, just giving and example from what I have experience working with)
    The SMB protocol is slow compared to NFS and other file sharing protocols, so eliminating it's need would increase responsiveness.

Some food for thought.

When you play from the Recordings or LiveTV screens you are using proprietary TCP protocal not SMB and the only permission you need is the firewall setting.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    When you play from the Recordings or LiveTV screens you are using proprietary TCP protocal not SMB and the only permission you need is the firewall setting.

Martin
    This I did not know. Nice. As far as music and Video's the Protocol is SMB correct?

Quote Originally Posted by skl111 View Post
    As far as music and Video's the Protocol is SMB correct?
    Correct (if you're talking about network shares, not local media).

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Correct (if you're talking about network shares, not local media).
    Ok, then that part being moved from local SMB to a TCP protocol is for a windows client.

If you mean the Windows PC Host, it uses the Windows filesystem to get files. There are plugins for Plex, YouTube and UPnP that would use http.

The PC clients use the proprietary TCP format for Recordings and live tv , Windows Filesystem for the libraries, and the mentioned plugins use http

Since the PC host serves the NMT, MVP and linux clients, it has to read the source via the Windows filesystem. No share permissions need to be set for them.

- the NMT client uses http streaming from the PC host. It can also be configured to read from the source via the linux filesystem (local, CIFS, or NFS mounts) to bypass the server. DVD ISO's must use the file system. UPnP url's are passed to the client. YouTube can do either http to the PC or direct.

- the MVP and linux client use Hauppauge's TCP media streaming protocol

Martin