Thread: Media MVP Question -- Restrict Guide Channels

Media MVP Question -- Restrict Guide Channels

Is it possible to restrict the channels that are displayed in the Guide on the MediaMVP?

The reason for asking is that my NextPVR server has a mix of Standard Definition and High Definition sources and I only want the SD channels to be available on the MediaMVP as it is incapable of playing back the HD material. I would like the SD only channels to come up as the default in the MVP guide (a wife thing for easier usability and less complaining).

Michael

In NextPVR, it is possible to create channel groups that limit your EPG view, and I know that the last group you select is persistent, but I don't know if that is via config.xml or the registry setting that is different for the PC and MVP/NMT clients.

Martin

You could also use TV Listings. Just make sure the guide with the limited channels is first in the list. When you want to see the full list, you can switch guides with the yellow button.

TV Listings for MediaMVP -- global or discrete

I assume that I would install TV listings on my NextPVR server -- and it is this setup that will be used for the MediaMVP guide.

If I use TV Listings and set up the default guide on my NextPVR serer with the limited SD channels as first on the list so that the MPV looks correct-- will this be the same default guide for all my other PC based NextPVR clients as well. What I am asking -- is the TV Listings guide that is the default on the server a global setting based on how the server is set -- or can PC clients be setup with a different default guide -- say my HD channels?

One final question -- if I have a number of MediaMVP's (say three separate units) -- do they all inherent the same guide

Sorry for so many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by msmith8228 View Post
    I assume that I would install TV listings on my NextPVR server -- and it is this setup that will be used for the MediaMVP guide.

If I use TV Listings and set up the default guide on my NextPVR serer with the limited SD channels as first on the list so that the MPV looks correct-- will this be the same default guide for all my other PC based NextPVR clients as well. What I am asking -- is the TV Listings guide that is the default on the server a global setting based on how the server is set -- or can PC clients be setup with a different default guide -- say my HD channels?

One final question -- if I have a number of MediaMVP's (say three separate units) -- do they all inherent the same guide

Sorry for so many questions.
    You would install the TV Recordings/TV Listings Plug-in on your server. All thin clients (MVP or NMT) would start with the same default guide. I am pretty sure PC Clients would be independent.

At some point, I noticed that when I specified a plug-in to start the application, the server did start in that plug-in but my NMT did not. If that is still the case, you could specify to start in TV Guide with all channels. Then, on your MVP's, just start TV Listings as the first thing you do. (I want to point out that I don't remember if this was early NPVR or GBPVR.)

Ok in the NextPVR TV Guide not TV Listings, the setting is global config.xml

<LastChannelGroup>All Channels</LastChannelGroup>

If sub is following this thread it would be nice to see this by configured MVP or at least moved to the HKCU\Software\NPVR like most of the view customization. The MVP server doesn't typically run in the same user space as the PC client.

Martin