Thread: A key to return to fullscreen video.

A key to return to fullscreen video.

Hi,

If I go into Videos, and navigate down a few folders to find an item, and then start it playing, it plays as inset video, while still displaying the list of items in that directory. To get to fullscreen video, I find that I first have to go back to the main menu, which can involve a few steps if you are several directories deep. This can be quite annoying if you want to play something else from the same folder afterwards, as you have to navigate down to it again, and then go back out to the main menu once again to get fullscreen video.

Could we have a key assigned that would take you straight to fullscreen video, if there's something playing, from anywhere in any of the menus?

Or am I doing it wrong?

I think a nice workaround would be via the [Home] key. It activates the inset if you're watching a video, but it also activates the hidden menu when not.

Assuming inset-video is active, my suggestion would be a single press of [Home] should open the menu as it does currently, but a second press - when the menu is visible - should then resume full-screen video. This way you get all functionality with just one key, and it also avoids the unnecessary trips back to the top-level to resume full-screen.

Iain
    NPVR Plugins: AudioAdjust | AutoRefresh | MediaInfo | MovieTrailers | ReClockOrNot | SubMenu | System | Videos+

When I play an item from Videos, it always starts in full screen (hitting OK or Enter on the item, and then selecting Resume or Restart on the pop-up to play it). Might there be a setting for this?

Home goes to inset video, and then it's hard to get back to full screen. I just did a quick check on my test box, and I could only get back to full screen by left-clicking on the inset. Not helpful with a remote. I guess there might be another way, however. I don't use inset video, so not qualified to discuss beyond this point.

I'd go a step further with Ian's idea and disable the hidden menu when in inset video. I'm not sure how much one would change the view or delete a file with inset playing. Seems pretty logical to toggle between inset and full screen with Home. But, his intermediate solution would be OK as well.
    HTPC: E7500, Nvidia 9500GT, ATI Theater 650Pro/Firewire Network Recorder/Avermedia Duet A188, NPVR 3.1.1, Win7 Pro
    Test: Asrock 890GM Pro 3, Athlon X2 255 , internal HD4290, ATI Theater 650Pro, NPVR 3.1.1, Win7 Home Premium
    Backup: Athlon 3200, Nvidia 7600GT, Network Recorder, NPVR 2.5.5, Win7 Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh49 View Post
    When I play an item from Videos, it always starts in full screen (hitting OK or Enter on the item, and then selecting Resume or Restart on the pop-up to play it). Might there be a setting for this?

Home goes to inset video, and then it's hard to get back to full screen.
    That is in fact what I meant. However, if you have one video playing, and then press [Home] to go back to the list of files in that folder, and start another one playing, that one starts playing as inset video, and it is then that you have to navigate back to the main menu to get fullscreen playback.

Personally, I almost never use the hidden menu and would just like a way to make the 'Menu' button on my Harmony toggle between the menu and full screen video.

The reason that I suggest a separate key was that if Sub is happy with how it currently works, and doesn't want to change the function of the [Home] key, he could just assign some other key with the sole function of toggling in and out of full-screen video, and then users would be free to configure their remote to send this command, or not.

OK, I see what you mean, and agree with your request. I also use a Harmony and would like to use the Menu button as you propose.
    HTPC: E7500, Nvidia 9500GT, ATI Theater 650Pro/Firewire Network Recorder/Avermedia Duet A188, NPVR 3.1.1, Win7 Pro
    Test: Asrock 890GM Pro 3, Athlon X2 255 , internal HD4290, ATI Theater 650Pro, NPVR 3.1.1, Win7 Home Premium
    Backup: Athlon 3200, Nvidia 7600GT, Network Recorder, NPVR 2.5.5, Win7 Home Premium

The Video Library should really work like Recordings, Home/Home restores full screen. Also I launch this from live TV in the EPG a lot I think things would be improved if NextPVR detected if the skin defined a ListVideoInset Element, and if not it should take you directly to the main screen.

Martin

+1 on home+home back to FS
    1. C2D 1.6ghz XPPro, ATI HD4650lowprofile,Cat 8.11, Aver M780, KWorld PCI 120, MVP, GBpvr 1.4.7, Comm. Skin. VFD, Imon plugin w/SmartieLCD[custom]
    2. C2D 2.53, XPPro, ATI HD3450, Kworld 330U, Comm. Skin, GBpvr 1.4.7
    Author: Pvrx2 utils- Simple Archiver.bat, NTFSLinker [Junction gui]
    Universal Util: MCE Remote no-software trick and Shutdown Protector
    3. Zotac Mini ITX G41[$84] + ati 650pro pcie[$29], Celeron duo[$22] BDRom drive [$48]