Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote for PC NPVR (Logitech?)

Hi

I was aware i would need an IR receiver (need to look in to this), however i wasnt aware the Harmony remote had its own software.

The system i want to set up wont have a keyboard, it will auto boot into NPVR so it will be remote all the way....

You got a Harmony 625 with IR receiver for $15???

dacheng comes up as 0 feedback and nothing listed???
    Many Thanks
    Ashley

Copyright 2013 - www.ashleygriffin.ca

Quote Originally Posted by SFX Group View Post
    Hi

I was aware i would need an IR receiver (need to look in to this), however i wasnt aware the Harmony remote had its own software.

The system i want to set up wont have a keyboard, it will auto boot into NPVR so it will be remote all the way....

You got a Harmony 625 with IR receiver for $15???

dacheng comes up as 0 feedback and nothing listed???
    I might be mistaken, but he probably bought a long time ago... I tried to buy a second harmony mid-through last year, and found that they're all gone, and those that remained have doubled or even tripled the cost. But yeah... I paid around $20 for mine at the time. And they were all over the place at ebay.
    Why, oh why didn't I buy a second one immediately...

Edit: Harmony has it own software for you to program the remote, after that the remote will only need whatever you would need for the remote you're emulating. Like mikeh49 said, if you add "MediaCenter Remote" to it, you'll get a wealth of options with both MCE Remote and MCE Keyboard IR codes available in the same profile.

Combine that with the "no-software mce remote" trick (do a quick search in the forum), and you're good to go

The seller he's talking is probably "dacheng2009".
    Last edited by Sykor; 2012-06-14 at 12:03 PM.

Where do i get the "MediaCenter Remote" software?
    I already have a Media Center remote (microsoft) as it came with the Hauppauge HVR2250 (i never unboxed it, and forgot about it until 5 seconds ago....), however i am still going to need an IR receiver as the MCE remote is still "IR remote" (well the one i have is).

Ill check eBay for the user you listed above..
    Many Thanks
    Ashley

Copyright 2013 - www.ashleygriffin.ca

Quote Originally Posted by SFX Group View Post
    Where do i get the "MediaCenter Remote" software?
    Sorry if I wasn't more clear. When configuring the Harmony Remote through Logitech's software, you can add "Devices" to your personal config/pool, and use them to setup your Harmony Remote. It's there that you search "MCE Remote" as device to add it.

Here is the MCE remote I recommend:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-MC...ht_3471wt_1098

It has the colored buttons (if you want to use the remote), has a "real" MCE receiver (with blasters) and is US$16.50 shipped.

You can use the pBS no software registry edits to remap keys, but may not need to if you use a Harmony. I think the colored buttons were not in my Win7 installation (I think the colored buttons were originally only provided for Europe) so I had to add them.

I paid about $60 for a refurbished Harmony 625 about 3 years ago. I like the Harmony activity-based model (watch TV, watch DVR) as it is easier for the less knowledgeable user.

The Harmony configuration software is web based and not fully intuitive (to me). There is some pretty good help on the Logitech forum and also the XBOX Media Center forums.

For an activity like watch DVR, you assign various devices, such as the TV to switch it's input to the computer and control volume, and the MCE remote to control NPVR. For this, you can use more than one device - I use the MCE remote device for most functions, and MCE Keyboard for the Menu key (F9) and the aspect ratio key (F7). The MCE keyboard may not show up in the drop-down device list, you probably need to type it in. Again, I think this is fully described in the XBMC or Logitech forums. This is where the Harmony software is annoying as expects a "major manufacturer" and model. Not well suited for DIY DVRs. Just pick a Dell or whatever media center PC to get started.
    HTPC: E7500, Nvidia 9500GT, ATI Theater 650Pro/Firewire Network Recorder/Avermedia Duet A188, NPVR 3.1.1, Win7 Pro
    Test: Asrock 890GM Pro 3, Athlon X2 255 , internal HD4290, ATI Theater 650Pro, NPVR 3.1.1, Win7 Home Premium
    Backup: Athlon 3200, Nvidia 7600GT, Network Recorder, NPVR 2.5.5, Win7 Home Premium