Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual DVB T Tuner for NZ - New build spec thoughts.

Is your nova-s still working if it is
    why not get a hvr 2210 (does 2 frequencies)
    hvr4400(does the other frequency for dvb-t or dvb-s)
    and the nova-s as the other tuner for dvb-s

that covers everything we receive then

i thought the price difference was bigger between the hvr3300 and hvr4400 (only reason i mentioned it)
    Specs
    Server:Cpu-Intel i3,ATI Radeon HD 5670 ,OS-Windows 7,2gig ram. 2xHvr4400,Nova-s plus(dvb-s SD),hvr2210(dvb-t HD)
    Client:Cpu-AMD am2,Gpu-Ati HD2100 integrated ,OS-Windows 7,2gig ram
    Client:Cpu Intel 2 gig ram ,Nvidia 9400
    Client:Popcorn Hour A110
    Client:Samsung [NZ][DVB-s][2012]BD-E5900x2
    Client:Samsung [NZ][DVB-s][2013]BD-F6500

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
    Pity about the problems with the NovaTD-500 (I assume the NovaT-500 has the same problem with win7?) as I have a spare one sitting here that I got before I decided to update my server system that you could have had for a good price.
    Yes, this both these dibcom-chipset devices the same problem. This devices works fine with Win7 in just about every other country. It's only a problem in NZ due the Freeview broadcasts having slightly different lowel-level characteristics that give it a slightly higher overrall bit compared to DVB-T in other countries. It cause a slight blip in the signal every few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by stustunz View Post
    Is your nova-s still working if it is
    why not get a hvr 2210 (does 2 frequencies)
    hvr4400(does the other frequency for dvb-t or dvb-s)
    and the nova-s as the other tuner for dvb-s

that covers everything we receive then

i thought the price difference was bigger between the hvr3300 and hvr4400 (only reason i mentioned it)
    Yeah, my Nova-S is still working. (Maybe even both) So both those suggestions work.
    I understand that PCIe is faster than PCI. Does this translate out to better performance in TV Tuners, or are the tuners (4400 for example) just using the more modern 'plug'. If the answer is no, no better performance then the board I'm looking at (Asus P8Z77-V LK) has two PCI slots. I could just run the Nova-S's then. I had just assumed PCIe = better. New computer, I need new spec tuner. Good old assuming aye.
    So what you are saying is the last question I ask, is really the one I should have asked first! Do I just keep using the Nova-S's. Doh!
    You are right and the 3300 is much cheaper. For what ever reason there is more availability of the 4400's giving a bit more competition maybe.

I have a nova-s and a hvr4000 both pci cards i can record all stations(12) at once with no issues on a i3 with xp operating system with comskip running at the end of recording while watching tv recordings with not issues
    as the card is just receiving the data (no processing is really done unlike analog)and passing it on to the PC
    the issue you would run into would be greater for HD as more data is been stored onto the Hard drive at any one time

If it was me I would keep using the nova-s x2
    buy a hvr2200 for HD recording (if you care for HD) for movies or the programs you want in HD
    The future purchase would be the hvr4400 if S2 stations show up in the future
    Last edited by stustunz; 2012-06-02 at 12:08 AM.
    Specs
    Server:Cpu-Intel i3,ATI Radeon HD 5670 ,OS-Windows 7,2gig ram. 2xHvr4400,Nova-s plus(dvb-s SD),hvr2210(dvb-t HD)

buy a hvr2200 for HD recording (if you care for HD) for movies or the programs you want in HD
    The future purchase would be the hvr4400 if S2 stations show up in the future
    I agree. No initial $ outlay. See if they go ok in the new machine, and take it from there. Good plan.
    My nephew (who will build the new machine) has turned up early. We will cannibalise my old machine, Disc drives, card reader, tv tuners, and newer 1TB drive I was recording tv to, and he will order the other bits as per post #1.
    Thanks for your input gentlemen.

Now if I could just justify a new monitor......

I will let you know how things progress.

There is now ChoiceTV on DVB-T only that we have actually recorded some stuff off of & who knows what other channels will pop up on DVB-T only in the future (not that the next new one after ChoiceTV is of any interest to me)

BTW Billhilly I was able to receive a reasonable signal with my current UHF aerial (used for Prime in the past) without re-aligning it, although I have now turned it to point in the same direction as my old TV3 aerial & it gets a better signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
    There is now ChoiceTV on DVB-T only that we have actually recorded some stuff off of & who knows what other channels will pop up on DVB-T only in the future (not that the next new one after ChoiceTV is of any interest to me)

BTW Billhilly I was able to receive a reasonable signal with my current UHF aerial (used for Prime in the past) without re-aligning it, although I have now turned it to point in the same direction as my old TV3 aerial & it gets a better signal.
    Thanks Jaggy, I will keep an eye on DVB-T now and see what develops channel wise.

I am just west of you, so don't expect any reception problems. Good that we did get included in the DVB-T rollout after all.

I've been running a Nova T500 and two HVR3000's for a while now. After a rebuild to a new motherboard (gigabyte A75-d3h - integrated HDMI with ATI 6550 HD graphics and optical) they started working together better.

On my old build I found only one of the dual tuners worked and one of the satellite cards so I had a mismash of channel/device setups.

Under the new build all the DVB-T devices work correctly and the 2 satellite - which until recently I was only using satellite for SBS.

Find the new build pretty stable, both as a system, and for recordings. I had to go full atx, only as I didn't want to upgrade the tuners to PCIe so had to stick to enough PCI slots. I think if I was byung new tuners I'd look at either the hauppauge 2210 or a silicon dust HD Home Run.
    Gigabyte AMD A8 Brix, 4 Gb DDR3 Ram, 120 Gb SSD, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual DVB-T, Samsung LA46A650 TV (HDMI), Harmony Remote 525
    Windows 8.1 Pro, NPVR 3.2.9, AC3Filter, 1 x AppleTV with Plex, Plex Plugin, NextPVR Channel for Plex

Thanks psycik.
    New machine is built. Spec is-

Intel i5 3570K
    Asus P8Z77-V LK
    Kingston Hyper X 8GB
    Asus GTX Ti graphics
    Windows 7
    Nova S x 2

No problems getting NPVR seeing channels and going. Video is choppy though. My small man brain runs out of steam about there though. I have looked in the Wiki, and searched the forums. Please excuse the really noob questions.
    So I need to try some different decoders right? I appreciate everyone's machines/tuners are different but what is working for you guys? And I need to put the different decoders into which folder? I'm sure I'll get this nailed, just need a nudge in the right direction!

cyberlink 8 or above
    ffdshow isnt to bad

Make sure video card output is set to 50hz
    60hz will give you choppy playback

Sometimes you have to match the resolution but these days with LCD's and plasmas are pretty good that you dont need to worry so much

no need to put them in folders just install and select
    Specs