Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual DVB T Tuner for NZ - New build spec thoughts.

Hybrid View

Dual DVB T Tuner for NZ - New build spec thoughts.

Capacitors are failing in my (five year) old computer. Time for the next one.

I have searched, and can see what some are using in the way of Dual DVB T tuners (in New Zealand), but I was wondering if we could get a bit of a consensus here. I was looking at a Hauppauge TD 500, but it seems that the correct one (for NZ) is actually the HVR 2210 right? Some of you are successfully using this card? I have been using dual Nova S's but the Wairarapa now has Terrestrial I believe. So I figure I should go that way?
    Budget (?) build. Specs are -

Intel i5 3570K
    Asus P8Z77-V LK
    Kingston Hyper X 8GB
    Asus GTX Ti graphics
    Windows 7

Want reliability, etc etc. But what do you think? Would you change anything for better PVRing?

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Billhilly View Post
    I was looking at a Hauppauge TD 500, but it seems that the correct one (for NZ) is actually the HVR 2210 right?
    From those two I'd do the HVR-2210. The Nova-TD500 has an issue with the broadcast parameters in NZ that can lead to corruption on Win7.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    From those two I'd do the HVR-2210. The Nova-TD500 has an issue with the broadcast parameters in NZ that can lead to corruption on Win7.
    Hey Sub,

Good to see you again. Fine for some isn't it. I drop in rarely with my lowly post count, just as you roll past 70k! Anyway I do really appreciate your time and product.
    So I've used Hauppauge for a long time but am happy to change. What are you using and how are they performing? Time for me to try another brand?

I've been getting Hauppauge devices free for years so they're pretty much all I use. They're good devices, and lot better supported than most other manufacturer's devices, so I dont really have any reason to buy other devices.

Can't beat free!
    No reason to stick with DVB S is there? The 2210 is the only dual tuner anyway (well the 4400 is one T, one S, one S2)?

Dvb-s is standard def so way less storage required
    Dvb-t is both sd and hd more stations ( crap I don't watch on extra stations)
    That's about it
    Specs
    Server:Cpu-Intel i3,ATI Radeon HD 5670 ,OS-Windows 7,2gig ram. 2xHvr4400,Nova-s plus(dvb-s SD),hvr2210(dvb-t HD)
    Client:Cpu-AMD am2,Gpu-Ati HD2100 integrated ,OS-Windows 7,2gig ram
    Client:Cpu Intel 2 gig ram ,Nvidia 9400
    Client:Popcorn Hour A110
    Client:Samsung [NZ][DVB-s][2012]BD-E5900x2
    Client:Samsung [NZ][DVB-s][2013]BD-F6500

Sorry, just looked at the photo's/details again. Only one S input/tuner anyway. Ok, now I'm confusing myself.

Thanks stustunz.
    So I could use a 4400 and the S2 would record ordinary S giving me dual S tuners in NZ? 'Cause we don't have HD S anyway do we? Slightly more money for the card, but no need for me personally to buy and set up an aerial.

The HVR-4400 effectively has two tuners. One tuner is capable of analog or DVB-T. The other is capable of DVB-S or DVB-S2.

Yeah OK. They call it Quad mode, but not able to record two DVB-S channels at the same time. Got it (I think!).
    So potentially the 2210 is still better/cheaper for me. So roughly per hour what are the file sizes for DVB-S recordings and DVB-T?