Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting over - rethinking

Ordered the Biostar mobo. I had checked Newegg, but I somehow missed that one. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the link, johnsonx42.

I hope it works well for you and none of your other components were toasted by your power supply.

I'd have been really torn between those two mobo's... the intel is probably a little higher quality and has an extra PCIe x1 slot, but the Biostar has a newer chipset and of course it's new. I don't know if the G41 video core is any better than an 8600GT at video playback... probably not, but at least you'll have a choice.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

jfm,

As a long time system builder and devotee of GP/NextPVR, and having been through what you have gone through a few times (system rebuilds), the first thing I do as soon as I get a new box built and running is to buy a second identical backup mother board, and sometimes even an identical backup video card. That way, I always have spare parts in the event of a system crash or component failure. I have even gone so far as to take an OS disk image on one of my spare drives lying about and label it "PVR Backup", and put it away in a drawer. That way, with all of this redundant hardware and backups, I can spare myself the pain of ever having to do a system rebuild (withdrawal sucks), unless it's my choice. I know this can be a bit expensive, but I find the peace of mind "priceless", knowing that my PVR will never be down for more than a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickaburrows View Post
    jfm,

As a long time system builder and devotee of GP/NextPVR, and having been through what you have gone through a few times (system rebuilds), the first thing I do as soon as I get a new box built and running is to buy a second identical backup mother board, and sometimes even an identical backup video card. That way, I always have spare parts in the event of a system crash or component failure. I have even gone so far as to take an OS disk image on one of my spare drives lying about and label it "PVR Backup", and put it away in a drawer. That way, with all of this redundant hardware and backups, I can spare myself the pain of ever having to do a system rebuild (withdrawal sucks), unless it's my choice. I know this can be a bit expensive, but I find the peace of mind "priceless", knowing that my PVR will never be down for more than a few hours.
    You know, that makes a lot of sense. There's a lot to be said for peace of mind. I know, because I've been pondering the problem of backing up my movies. Many of them were really hard to find, and I'd hate to lose them. Might go for a BlueRay drive, but what I would love to have is a raid setup with hot-swappable hard drives. Too rich for my blood, though.

And yes, withdrawal sucks. :-)

Well, I got the mobo in, and the good news is that the cpu, memory, and hard drives are apparently okay.

The bad news is that PVRX2 is not working, but I'm going to start a new thread on that, giving the details that led up to the mobo failure. Just before the board went, I had begun experiencing problems with PVRX2, but I didn't get them resolved due to the mobo failure. Anyway, thanks for the help on this part of the problem.