Thread: Undelete utility for Windows 7??

Undelete utility for Windows 7??

Today I accidentally deleted over a terabyte of recordings, thinking I had a subdirectory in my recordings folder highlighted when the window focus was actually on the entire recordings folder in the left-hand Explorer pane. Ugh.

So does anyone have experience with Win7 undelete utilities and large files? I know many utilities don't work with files larger than 4GB and so your experience undeleting videos would be helpful, as well as files with alternate data streams like our NextPVR recordings. It's been a number of years since I tried this myself and I don't recall which utility I found worked pretty well - many couldn't handle large videos at all - but I imagine there might be other programs available now that you might have had experience with.

Right click on the drive in Explorer and select "Restore Previous Versions". Windows 7 has Previous Versions enabled by default.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

I'm not sure how that's supposed to work, but Windows tells me there are no previous versions.

So far I haven't fond any utilities that work with files larger than 4GB. Those that show those filenames show a size of 0 bytes, any others don't show those files at all.

I forgot that Previous Versions are only enabled by default on the C: drive; on other drives you have to enable it yourself.

Sorry, you're probably out of luck on an NTFS file system, especially this long after the deletion happened.

You can try "FreeUndelete" from OfficeRecovery.com. I have it on my desktop, so I must have used it at some point. It will scan an NTFS volume, but with the way NTFS works it's not likely to be successful.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct