Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording skips at the same time every week.

Recording skips at the same time every week.

I record Desperate Housewives every Monday at 8.30pm. Every time I have played it back for the last approx 6-10 weeks, I find it skips a massive chunk. During playback it literally appears to jump over 20 minutes or so and continues playing. What I found has happened is that the recording is missing this chunk of data. I checked the file size and it's smaller than other recordings of the same length. If I play the file in VLC I can find the point it goes wrong - it's recording ads then it just cuts to the program.

I'm a reasonably heavy user of recordings and multi recordings (well, I think I am) but this is the only time this happens - the same time every week. As far as I know, all other recordings are fine. Admittedly I don't get around to watching everything I record, but if it was affecting more than just this one program I would have posted before now!

The computer itself is fine. I can't see any evidence that some other software or system problem is causing it in the logs etc.

This week I set up a scheduled task to reboot the computer a few hours before the recording occurred in an effort to clean up the logs a bit. Sure enough, the problem occurred again last night. Would really appreciate it if someone could take a look?

Will post the logs in a sec...

Cheers
    Windows 7 32 bit, NBPVR 2.0.3. Asus P5LD2, C2D E4500 2.2Ghz, 2GB ram, 100GB volume (system), sep 1TB drive (Recordings). 2 hauppauge tuners: HVR 3000 and Nova-S, both using DVB-S for NZ freeview. Graphics: PCI-e Nvidia 8600, using TV Out to S-Video on a 34" Panasonic CRT TV.

Here are the logs..

Here are the logs... my sig is out of date too, version is 2.3.6
    Windows 7 32 bit, NBPVR 2.0.3. Asus P5LD2, C2D E4500 2.2Ghz, 2GB ram, 100GB volume (system), sep 1TB drive (Recordings). 2 hauppauge tuners: HVR 3000 and Nova-S, both using DVB-S for NZ freeview. Graphics: PCI-e Nvidia 8600, using TV Out to S-Video on a 34" Panasonic CRT TV.

I have to have a set top box powering my lnb or i get gaps when one tuner finishes recording
    each tuner will run fine if the other is disconnected but as soon as i connect both the lnb doesnt always get power
    Specs
    Server:Cpu-Intel i3,ATI Radeon HD 5670 ,OS-Windows 7,2gig ram. 2xHvr4400,Nova-s plus(dvb-s SD),hvr2210(dvb-t HD)
    Client:Cpu-AMD am2,Gpu-Ati HD2100 integrated ,OS-Windows 7,2gig ram
    Client:Cpu Intel 2 gig ram ,Nvidia 9400
    Client:Popcorn Hour A110
    Client:Samsung [NZ][DVB-s][2012]BD-E5900x2
    Client:Samsung [NZ][DVB-s][2013]BD-F6500

I hear what you're saying, but I don't have a set top box I could try it out with. Haven't had this particular issue in the whole time I've been using multi record so it's a bit confusing. I often have 2, 3 or 4 channels recording at the same time (usually because the programs overlap and I have long pads at each end of my recordings).

Did the computer go to sleep in the gap in the recording? Some months ago for several days I had just the last 15 minutes of a daily show recorded. Windows went to sleep and only started recording when it woke up to record another. I have also had a case where the computer went to sleep just after starting a recording.

Happened again last night. The osd shows that it thinks it's about a 1 hr 20m recording, but about 20-30 mins of it isn't actually there. Computer is currently not set to go to sleep at all. I haven't specifically watched it at this time, but I don't think it is going to sleep at all.

On the bright side, TVNZ seems to be having real trouble with the ads in their On Demand stuff - they're only about 5 seconds long

Looking at the NRecord.log for the 30th your problem recording starts at 20:25 and finishes at 21:45. However there is no mention of the particular recording in ndigitalhost.log although the start and stop of the previous and following recordings are there.

I am very interested in hearing you have this problem. I have a very similar problem that I have chronicled in this thread: http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...-Back-Problems

Condensed version is I only have these problems on one channel and the shows that have problems should be 2-3GB but wind up being 200-400MB. They start for a few minutes and then skip to the end. My logs never show any problems and I have observed the data being transmitted via an external program just not being populated in the TS file NextPVR records. Bad news is there wasn't a solution for me and it continues to happen. Maybe now that there is another case, it can be looked at further.

If possible could you test this with GBPVR? I still have it installed on my computer and every time I switched back to it for testing, these problems do not occur.
    HTPC: Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD X4 2.5GHz, 3 TB Hard Drive Space, 4 GB RAM, ATI 785g, HDHR, Hauppauge DCR-2650, NextPVR 2.5.5

My only thought is maybe the broadcaster is dynamically chaning the audio video PIDs mid show. The application has logic that attempts to cope with this, but its a very rare scenario which I haven't been able to test.

Wodger, if you can bump the thread on Monday as a reminder, I'll record it here. Like me, you may want to create a c:\temp directory and set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NPVR\RecordFullTS=1. This will cause it to save a copy of the full transport stream to c:\temp\full.ts (in addition to your actual recording).

With this full ts we'd be able to tell whether the PIDs changed, or if there is a gap in the data delivered by the device.

Bugger, I just checked this thread after it happened tonight. Attached are the logs, taken before the recording resumed. I'll carry out the above test next week and bump the thread then - and subscribe to the thread.

Edit: Bugger, at the end they said Desperate Housewives returns in two weeks!
    Last edited by wodger; 2012-05-14 at 09:48 AM.