Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Multiple locations to use PVR card and NPVR (is this possible (yet?))

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, ON. Canada
    Posts
    611

    Multiple locations to use PVR card and NPVR (is this possible (yet?))

    Hi, so here’s the thing...

    I will be going to satellite, this means i can have up to 4 receivers, however this also means 4 recording hardware for NPVR, so either of the below (input please)

    1 - I have a server with 4 cards (or maybe 2 with double input) in a box with the 4 satellite receivers in there and have this NPVR as the "server" and clients (at least 3 of them) talking to this one server for recordings and channels to see.
    -- The above means a really good IR blaster so i need to know what will work for what channel

    2 - Smaller boxes (3 of them using intel ATOM) with a PVR card in, installed with NPVR to record from that Satellite receiver.
    -- The above means i have 2-3 NPVR with no central server, how do i see multiple installs to be able to see there recordings? (not sure this is possible as there’s no "central" server as such


    I prefer option 1, however very worried about IR blasters for this, currently i would use HVR 2250 (2 of them i think) however would NPVR know which IR blaster to change which card (ive not looked at NPVR close enough for this in the newest release).

    Input here would be nice...
    Last edited by SFX Group; 2012-04-28 at 03:29 AM. Reason: typos
    Many Thanks
    Ashley

    Copyright 2013 - www.ashleygriffin.ca

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    21,021
    If it helps with your solution design, the NetworkRecorder tuner plugin can connect to remote PC's running Sage Graph Recorder which allows you to tune and capture from any of that remotes devices using a stored graph.

    Martin

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NextPVR HQ, Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    76,158
    Option 1 would work, but as you say, you'd need to think carefully about the blaster. You might need a combination of blasters to control that many set top boxes. Sorry, I dont use blasters myself, so cant really recommend what to use.

    When it comes to blasters, NextPVR just uses whatever command line you supply, so if you can find four command line driver blasters then NextPVR will be able work with them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, ON. Canada
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    If it helps with your solution design, the NetworkRecorder tuner plugin can connect to remote PC's running Sage Graph Recorder which allows you to tune and capture from any of that remotes devices using a stored graph.

    Martin
    I'l have a look at this, however i am leaning towards 1 server with all cards there...
    Many Thanks
    Ashley

    Copyright 2013 - www.ashleygriffin.ca

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, ON. Canada
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Option 1 would work, but as you say, you'd need to think carefully about the blaster. You might need a combination of blasters to control that many set top boxes. Sorry, I dont use blasters myself, so cant really recommend what to use.

    When it comes to blasters, NextPVR just uses whatever command line you supply, so if you can find four command line driver blasters then NextPVR will be able work with them.
    I notice HVR 2250 has an IR do-dad already in it, although ive never used it.... need to do research on that....
    Many Thanks
    Ashley

    Copyright 2013 - www.ashleygriffin.ca

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    21,021
    Quote Originally Posted by SFX Group View Post
    I'l have a look at this, however i am leaning towards 1 server with all cards there...
    As would I. I threw this out there since you might want to have a mix. A client with an STB will give you NextPVR and OnDemand and PPV programming plus the option for HD viewing which you are giving up.

    Martin

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, ON. Canada
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    As would I. I threw this out there since you might want to have a mix. A client with an STB will give you NextPVR and OnDemand and PPV programming plus the option for HD viewing which you are giving up.

    Martin
    This it the problem i am facing now, i will look at the software you have mentioned, if i can get a NPVR client to act as a real client with a PVR card in the same box with something allowing this card to talk with the server, this makes more sense.

    This does mean i have more of a problem if NPVR decides to use that box to record, i wont know about it, if i change the channel, i loose the recording instead of NPVR deciding which box to use.

    NPVR supports 1080p streams i assume? (once Hauppauge gets something to fully record this, i know they have a USB device, however i prefer internal stuff, i have about a year or 2 to play before PPV becomes an issue, and while then i can have 1 box at the TV and 1 or 2 more at the server so i dont think at this point it will be a super issue.

    Just like to forward plan abit
    Last edited by SFX Group; 2012-04-28 at 03:22 PM.
    Many Thanks
    Ashley

    Copyright 2013 - www.ashleygriffin.ca

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NextPVR HQ, Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    76,158
    Quote Originally Posted by SFX Group View Post
    NPVR supports 1080p streams i assume? (once Hauppauge gets something to fully record this, i know they have a USB device, however i prefer internal stuff, i have about a year or 2 to play before PPV becomes an issue, and while then i can have 1 box at the TV and 1 or 2 more at the server so i dont think at this point it will be a super issue.
    I dont know. There is no devices available today that capture 1080p. It's just like any other transport stream though, so I'd assume it would work.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    21,021
    Apparently BBC HD broadcasts can flip from 1080i to 1080p. Other devices that capture to 1080p today are digital cameras but they typically record to .m2ts containers which are not natively support by NextPVR

    Martin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •