Thread: Mohu Leaf antenna for OTA

Mohu Leaf antenna for OTA

I thought I'd share my experience with antenna and amplifier products so others can benefit from my research and experience. I live in a rural area with lots of trees and was having a problem picking up all of the OTA channels, and locking a strong signal. The result is choppy television viewing/recording, and sometimes no valid recording. Enter amplification.

I have the following antenna setup for OTA digital TV:

and

Config1 is $20 cheaper than Config2, but it takes more coax cables and therefore adds more to the cable mess, but works great connected to the HD HomeRun dual tuner. I need the signal amp because the dual tuner splits the signal which weakens the signal going to each tuner.

Config2 is $20 more expensive, but is very clean due to only having 1 coax cable and 1 USB cable (for power to amplify the signal).

I used painter tape to tape the 2 Leaf antennas to the wall behind my tv, and both tuner devices pick up all signals very well. The Leaf antenna definitely works very well and is inexpensive.
    NPVR 3.3.8 o XBMC 13.2 o EventGhost 0.4.1.r1669 o SchedulesDirect o SAF 6.2.3

Case: Apevia X-Qpack HTPC o Motherboard: Asus P8H67-MLE o CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 o RAM: 8 GB o OS: Win7 64-bit
    Tuner: HDHomeRun dual tuner o Amplified Leaf antenna o Remote: Microsoft MCE
    Hard drives: Western Digital 1 TB SATA2, Seagate 2 TB SATA2, Samsung 540 GB SATA2 o Input: Logitech USB keyboard & mouse
    Video: ATI Radeon 7750 o Monitor: Viewsonic 27" VX2703MH-LED, Vizio 47" LCD TV

Thanks for sharing.

How far away from the broadcast antenna is your home? I need a solution that will work good around 60 miles.
    EVGA 730i 113-YW-E115
    C2D E8400 C0 Stepping
    4gb GSkill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    500 GB Seagate SATAII
    Win7
    HVR-2250 TV Tuner
    NPVR 2.3.6

I actually have a large directional arial & home made DB2 antenna that when positioned & combined cover all stations for me but I need an amp for my HV-1600 to get a solid signal.
    I just didn't know if a radio shack amp would work.

How much of a difference does the amp make in your first solution?

About 25 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    How far away from the broadcast antenna is your home? I need a solution that will work good around 60 miles.

Case: Apevia X-Qpack HTPC o Motherboard: Asus P8H67-MLE o CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 o RAM: 8 GB o OS: Win7 64-bit
    Hard drives: Western Digital 1 TB SATA2, Seagate 2 TB SATA2, Samsung 540 GB SATA2 o Input: Logitech USB keyboard & mouse

Are you looking for a signal db value? I would have to disconnect the amplifier, run the HD HomeRun Quick Config app that displays signal strength, write it down, then attach the PCT amplifier and do it again. If this is the data you're looking for, then I can do that this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrogen_widget View Post
    How much of a difference does the amp make in your first solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Wakalaka View Post
    Are you looking for a signal db value? I would have to disconnect the amplifier, run the HD HomeRun Quick Config app that displays signal strength, write it down, then attach the PCT amplifier and do it again. If this is the data you're looking for, then I can do that this weekend.
    I don't need anything that specific.
    Just wondering how big a difference the amp made when it came to getting smooth reception (non-freezing TV)

It made quite a difference to have an amp. I used to get freezing TV, unreliable signal lock, and also did not find all channels because the signal was split between the 2 tuners in the HDHomeRun. With the amplified signal I now have happy times!

Quote Originally Posted by nitrogen_widget View Post
    Just wondering how big a difference the amp made when it came to getting smooth reception (non-freezing TV)
    Last edited by Wakalaka; 2012-04-29 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks!