Thread: Wishlist: Decrypting Encrypted Channels

Hybrid View

Wishlist: Decrypting Encrypted Channels

If WMC can decrypt these channels, there must be a way to do it outside of the WMC? Either natively inside of NPVR which would be preferred, or maybe something crazy like having NPVR launch a recording through MCE and have it record, then afterwards runs something live WTV to AVI and strip the Encryption?

Kinda a convoluted approach, but I'd like to have a fully integrated system free of numerous hardware boxes if possible. Otherwise I'll have to attach a STB to the system and record in Analog to my PVR-500 Hauppauge card.

Anyone else have something to address Encrypted Content?

Jake

I think quite a few people have been doing this for some time.
    http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.ph...tupDialog#toc6

Lucky them. I don't have DVB unfortunately. I figure this is a key type of access just like DVD decryption originally was until a DECSS decrypter was developed and basically let the cat out of the bag.

I would think by now someone would have figured it out. I might just have to use my second solution with the STB. I've lived with it all this time, just one more thing to configure for NPVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakesty View Post
    If WMC can decrypt these channels, there must be a way to do it outside of the WMC? Either natively inside of NPVR which would be preferred, or maybe something crazy like having NPVR launch a recording through MCE and have it record,
    With the NetworkTuner plugin and SageMCTuner you can schedule and record in WMC and NextPVR can lauch WMC to playback the DRM'd files

then afterwards runs something live WTV to AVI and strip the Encryption?
    The crypto isn't broken so that potential multiple lifetime wait is a deterrent.

Kinda a convoluted approach, but I'd like to have a fully integrated system free of numerous hardware boxes if possible. Otherwise I'll have to attach a STB to the system and record in Analog to my PVR-500 Hauppauge card.

Anyone else have something to address Encrypted Content?
    Instead of using SD output you can use the Hauppauge HDPVR (component) or Colossus (HDMI/component) to record HD broadcast with the appropriate aspect ration. However these aren't 100% safe, DirectTV recently started using HDCP on premium HDMI channels and there is talk they will also restrict component to SD to avoid the analog hole. Many cable STB's could probably do this to.

Martin