Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mc2xml listings stop at 20th?

geez, looks like it's only been updating the same date range since the fix...
    [mine stops at the 30th now..check yours]

looks like it's not really fixed....
    keep an eye out..
    1. C2D 1.6ghz XPPro, ATI HD4650lowprofile,Cat 8.11, Aver M780, KWorld PCI 120, MVP, GBpvr 1.4.7, Comm. Skin. VFD, Imon plugin w/SmartieLCD[custom]
    2. C2D 2.53, XPPro, ATI HD3450, Kworld 330U, Comm. Skin, GBpvr 1.4.7
    Author: Pvrx2 utils- Simple Archiver.bat, NTFSLinker [Junction gui]
    Universal Util: MCE Remote no-software trick and Shutdown Protector
    3. Zotac Mini ITX G41[$84] + ati 650pro pcie[$29], Celeron duo[$22] BDRom drive [$48]

Yep, mine shows only 8 days of data left.
    E4600 Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro, HD5570, Hauppauge PVR-500, HDHomeRun Prime, NPVR 3.1.1, 2 Popcorn Hour A-100's and a partridge in a pear tree...
    On a clear disk, you can seek forever...

It's hard to get upset about this about this when EPG data with Schedules Direct is only two dollars a month. On top of this the price, can actually go down with more subscribers if people really consider the value of a legit source is in the non WMC realm.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    It's hard to get upset about this about this when EPG data with Schedules Direct is only two dollars a month. On top of this the price, can actually go down with more subscribers if people really consider the value of a legit source is in the non WMC realm.

Martin
    Unfortunately Schedules Direct appears to be headed in the opposite direction. Their web site says they raised prices to make up for a drop in subscribers which will probably result in even less subscribers, higher prices...rinse repeat until no more Schedules Direct.

MS seems to have patched things at least for now and I just got an update with data up to the start of prime time on May 6.

Quote Originally Posted by anothernewbie View Post
    Unfortunately Schedules Direct appears to be headed in the opposite direction. Their web site says they raised prices to make up for a drop in subscribers which will probably result in even less subscribers, higher prices...rinse repeat until no more Schedules Direct.
    That's my point. While the decline is not entirely related to people opting for free choices, the digital transition, DRM and better home options factor into it, I am not sure that mc2xml users are thinking in the big picture. If MS decide to block them in a software update on a patch Tuesday I think there is an assumption that SD will be there for them. SD is a not-for-profit company and all the burden is transferred to those that want to be legit so there is a question of fairness in the HTPC community too.

Martin

The problem I have with SD is that if I want to start using their data with a program like J. River Media Center I can't according to their terms of service since it is not open source or a free program. The same with SageTV if the EPG service ever goes bust. Same with BeyondTV, etc... I guess they want to promote open source but it is too limiting in my opinion.

but you're already violating the license for the windows media center epg data - you can't use that data with anything but windows media center. so you're justifying violating one license all the time instead of paying a tiny fee for legitimate epg data on the grounds that you *might* want to violate that license later on?

(and the limitation for use with free software comes from Schedules Direct's licensing agreement with Tribune Media Services - they make EPG data available for a smaller fee as long as it's to be used with free software)
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    but you're already violating the license for the windows media center epg data - you can't use that data with anything but windows media center.
    Ok, but the author makes no attempt to hide mc2xml and even charges a fee for the "non-legacy" WMC data. I find it hard to believe that Microsoft wouldn't be aware of this and shut this down if it is "violating the license".

Quote Originally Posted by cncb View Post
    The problem I have with SD is that if I want to start using their data with a program like J. River Media Center I can't according to their terms of service since it is not open source or a free program. The same with SageTV if the EPG service ever goes bust. Same with BeyondTV, etc... I guess they want to promote open source but it is too limiting in my opinion.
    The XML grabber may be the issue more than the destination PVR program as there are approved programs to grab the data from SD for use in other programs. I expect it is related to the license with Tribune Media for the data, not just open source altruism. I assume Tribune would much prefer a large contract with Google or J.River as the source much like they have with SageTV today.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by cncb View Post
    As Martin says - This wasn't SD's choice. SD wanted to provide this service for whoever wanted to use the data, but Tribune wouldn't license the deal with them on those terms. Tribune just wanted a way to collect money from free projects that weren't going to be licensing the data from them directly. Tribune would prefer other commercial apps, which in theory have money to spend on guide data, license it directly from Tribune.