Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: nDroid - any problems need addressing???

will send zip tomorrow. If I remove mapping for some channels might that reduce file size and fix the issue?

Also happy to test on revue. Would love to use the app and dump tversity.
    Last edited by ppijoseph; 2012-04-06 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ppijoseph View Post
    will send zip tomorrow. If I remove mapping for some channels might that reduce file size and fix the issue?
    If I'm right about the size of the sevendayxml.zip causing the 'out of memory' crash then yes, reducing the number of channels will reduce the amount of data in the zip file and might prevent the crash.

I'd still really like to have your full zip file before you do that though - I can try an import on my phone and if (when) it crashes I can pinpoint where the error is.

Also happy to test on revue. Would love to use the app and dump tversity.
    OK, no promises but I'll look over the code to see where I'd got to and let you know.

I'd still really like to have your full zip file...
    I got your email...

Wow! That's a lot of EPG data. When unzipped it amounts to over 50MB of XML (mine is about 4.5MB in comparison).

The problem is what I suspected. When importing the EPG data nDroid builds a list of everything in the XML file "in-memory" before writing it to the database. It makes it very fast at what it does but Android apps are limited to the amount of memory they can use and it's basically hitting the limit.

With the current version of nDroid the only workaround is to reduce the number of channels mapped in your NextPVR setup although whether you want to do that is up to you.

I'll have to think about this. If I move the database to the SD card and process the XML file on a per-channel basis (for example) it's fixable but it'll take some work and I can't promise when I can do it.

Cheers,
    Brian

Thank you for looking into it. I have removed a bunch of channels from the guide (music stations and subscription channels I don't use) and it has allowed successful upload to my Acer tablet. But my Droid 2 still crashes.

This is a pretty standard digital cable lineup in the US in terms of number of channels provided. I don't think it is really unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by ppijoseph View Post
    Thank you for looking into it. I have removed a bunch of channels from the guide (music stations and subscription channels I don't use) and it has allowed successful upload to my Acer tablet. But my Droid 2 still crashes.
    The fact it works on the Acer gives a second confirmation that it's purely the amount of data that caused it to fail previously. Not sure why the Droid 2 is still crashing but it probably comes down to different setups (what other apps are installed, free resources available etc).

This is a pretty standard digital cable lineup in the US in terms of number of channels provided. I don't think it is really unusual.
    Sure I get that. There are only 26 installations of nDroid in the US (2 of which are your devices obviously) so it just seems you're the first to have tried nDroid with a full channel line-up.

I do have some ideas on how to fix the problem but I'm away for a few days this week so I probably wont have a fix until next week at the earliest. I'll let you know.

Cheers,
    Brian

Certainly not urgent. It is due to hdhomerun prime and cable card giving such a broad channel lineup I guess. Sounds like other users don't tend to have such a setup.

Fyi, I'm also in the us, and have had the same issue I think. I have sent a few reports a few weeks ago via Android, but didn't follow through here because i didn't have time to double check my install. My Epg is also large. If you need any more reports or details, let me know.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by haleysj View Post
    Fyi, I'm also in the us, and have had the same issue I think. I have sent a few reports a few weeks ago via Android, but didn't follow through here because i didn't have time to double check my install. My Epg is also large. If you need any more reports or details, let me know.

Is there any chance you could try it again and then send another crash report then post here to let me know that you done it? I can see a couple of different report types from roughly a few weeks ago so can't directly put my finger on which type yours would be.

Also none of the reports from around then were 'out of memory' like the ones ppijoseph experienced. It could still be the case of a large EPG import though but I'd need to pin-point the area of code which is crashing.

Cheers,
    Brian

Ok, just sent another one. looks like it was an out of memory error.

Quote Originally Posted by haleysj View Post
    Ok, just sent another one. looks like it was an out of memory error.
    Thanks. Yes, I can see now. Definitely a memory issue although yours shows up as something different from the ones uploaded by ppijoseph which is why I hadn't connected your original reports a few weeks back.

I see from one comment that your XML file uncompressed is 66MB - that's definitely going to be the cause of the problem.

I'm going to put an option to split the EPG data into 7 one-day chunks. I'll try and get it done sometime in the next few days.

Cheers,
    Brian