Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: recording service not running at recording time

I guess from now on when ever I update I'll have to go in and run each exe manually to be sure windows hasn't decided it knows better then me what I want! i thought once I gave permission to install all would be good, stupid me.
    NPVR 3.2.9/W7 X64/Q9300 quad core at 2900/4 gig ram
    Radeon 6870 1 gig/200 gig sata and 1T WD Green
    /DCR-2650 and HVR2250

I'm certain your problem occurred when you applied the patch update. I don't know exactly why if you used 7-zip. A regular install of NPVR from sub's setup program will not have this sort of problem.

However, yes, if a future patch update includes either NDigitalHost.exe or NRecord.exe, it would be worth manually verifying that they aren't blocked. Patch updates to those two files will be rare however, as they are largely just shell programs that call routines in the various DLL files. 99% of the time only the DLL's get updated, along with NextPVR.exe. If NextPVR.exe is blocked it isn't an issue, since it's run by the user.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    If NextPVR.exe is blocked it isn't an issue, since it's run by the user.
    That's the odd thing, NextPVR.exe is probably the most updated program in the suite and it is actually launched as the NMT/MVP server by NRecord too, but I've never remembered users having trouble with the block.

Martin

Right, but I think in most cases the user will run NextPVR.exe directly on the server, and unblock it by the prompt, before they launch the NMT/MVP's. Even if they do encounter the issue first, they'll probably do things like reboot, try running on the server, etc. and magically it will start working. Additionally, a decent percentage of users do know about unblocking downloaded files, or use unzip utilities that don't preserve the blocking on the extracted files. So by the time you toss in all the variables, it ends up being a pretty small percentage who would actually encounter the problem, and those few are going to fix it 'accidentally' during troubleshooting.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    Right, but I think in most cases the user will run NextPVR.exe directly on the server, and unblock it by the prompt, before they launch the NMT/MVP's. Even if they do encounter the issue first, they'll probably do things like reboot, try running on the server, etc. and magically it will start working. Additionally, a decent percentage of users do know about unblocking downloaded files, or use unzip utilities that don't preserve the blocking on the extracted files. So by the time you toss in all the variables, it ends up being a pretty small percentage who would actually encounter the problem, and those few are going to fix it 'accidentally' during troubleshooting.
    I still think whatever is happening is odd. To test, I added a Zone.Identifier to my NDigitalHost.exe and because NRecord normally runs as Local System, the error popup is in the Interactive Desktop Window which is tricky to deal with and I would have expect more comments.

Martin