Thread: hosting changes coming

hosting changes coming

Just a quick heads-up. I was informed yesterday that our hosting hardware had been marked 'end of life' and will be retired in a few weeks. Grrrr.

Annoyingly the quotes they've provided for alternatives are adding an additional US$25 a month. Given the yearly donations only just covered the previous hosting costs for a year, we're going to be moving to some other hosting provider. I'm not sure where will be moving yet, but I'm investigating other dedicated hosting and VPS solutions.

I'll try to make sure there is the least amount of disruption possible when the move happens, and will let you all know a few days.

What are your hosting needs, in terms of capabilities, bandwidth and so on? Might be helpful to have multiple sets of eyes searching for a provider...

Iain
    NPVR Plugins: AudioAdjust | AutoRefresh | MediaInfo | MovieTrailers | ReClockOrNot | SubMenu | System | Videos+

For the first few years of GBPVR we struggled by with shared hosting from a couple of companies, but it was just crappy, with performance issues, and not something I want do again...so, I want to stick with dedicated hosting, or VPS (if I cant find dedicated server in my price range).

I'm basically looking for dedicated server, or VPS from company not known to over-sell/over-load their hardware. The setup that has worked well for the last few years was - 2GB of memory, 250GB HDD, 1500GB transfter per month, running Centos, from well-connected data center that gives decent download speeds. Ideally I'd like similar setup to this.

Thanks for the reminder. I've hit the button again

Quote Originally Posted by martint123 View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. I've hit the button again
    Thanks. It'll be put to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Thanks. It'll be put to good use.
    That should remind all of us to put some more back in the pot!

Been looking at this thread for a couple of days and have to ask?

Why only options dedicated server or VPS. Why just not a more simple host? With General NextPVR/GB-PVR traffic at around 100 users etc at any given time.....

cheers

steeb
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

NextPVR Documentation (wiki) admin/contributor

Quote Originally Posted by steeb View Post
    Why only options dedicated server or VPS. Why just not a more simple host? With General NextPVR/GB-PVR traffic at around 100 users etc at any given time.....
    As I said above, mainly because of crappy shared hosting experiences in the past. I'm also keen to retain the ability to run stuff on the web server, like proxy software, so I can test against geo-locked streaming services in the US. I've had do this on a several occasions in the past. There is other custom software I've run from time to time too.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    As I said above, mainly because of crappy shared hosting experiences in the past. I'm also keen to retain the ability to run stuff on the web server, like proxy software, so I can test against geo-locked streaming services in the US. I've had do this on a several occasions in the past. There is other custom software I've run from time to time too.
    Thanks sub.

IME shared hosting has become far more reliable recently due to an aggressive marketplace but yes with your extra requirements I can see your point. Of course that does limit the options and hikes up the price Definitely out of my realm of experience

cheers

steeb