Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here comes Digital Cable ... what to do

Ok so looking here http://mediacomcable.com/order/all_digital_faq.html I only have basic cable and family cable. If I read that right my more basic channels are un-encrypted. I think I can confirm this because the one TV I do have with a Digital tuner built-in can see all of my channels just fine.
    under digital equipment it looks like if I have a digital tuner in my pvr box I should be able to work and bypass the STB which is a digital tuner that mediacom gave me. So if I get a hauppauge 1600 with QAM and then I should be able get setup without any additional hardware from mediacom. Let me know if that looks correct if so I will get one of these and get it installed. Then I will move over to the Nextpvr boards because I will want to install that while I am changing things around here. Great community thanks for your input.

If the Mediacom site is correct, you will have more clear QAM than anyone I have heard of. Most of the channels will be SD, with just the local broadcast in HD (see the HD lineup at the bottom of the list). You should be able to receive all of these with a QAM tuner card. I have no personal experience with the 1600, but the sentiment on this forum is that there are now better choices from Hauppauge, such as the 1150 for PCI or 1250 for PCIe. Depends on whether your motherboard has a PCIe slot.

And, they tell you the QAM channel. Amazing. Charter doesn't even admit that they exist.
    HTPC: E7500, Nvidia 9500GT, ATI Theater 650Pro/Firewire Network Recorder/Avermedia Duet A188, NPVR 3.1.1, Win7 Pro
    Test: Asrock 890GM Pro 3, Athlon X2 255 , internal HD4290, ATI Theater 650Pro, NPVR 3.1.1, Win7 Home Premium
    Backup: Athlon 3200, Nvidia 7600GT, Network Recorder, NPVR 2.5.5, Win7 Home Premium

Might be a good time to get involved and make some noise. I've sent 3 different messages to my local reps and 2 of them replied back that they agree with me. Maybe they can make a difference.
    http://www.publicknowledge.org/cable-encryption

Paul
    Custom ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W PS, CM HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
    #2--P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS, Windows 8.1

Just saw this from 'TV Spectrum'.

With spectrum legislation signed into law, what’s next?

We are pleased that Congress heard the voices of TV viewers when they passed legislation authorizing voluntary incentive auctions of broadcast spectrum last month.

Thanks to the tireless efforts of viewers like you, the law includes protections to help prevent viewers from losing access to free broadcast TV and all of the news, emergency information, sports and entertainment you expect and deserve.

We now move into the implementation phase in the months and years to come. It is important that Congress maintains close oversight so that the viewer and broadcaster protections included in the bill are implemented as intended.

As we look to the next phase of the process, our mission is to work with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to ensure that viewers’ access to free, local broadcast programming is not jeopardized. We hope you’ll continue to stand with us to protect the rights of all viewers to continue receiving the local TV stations that you rely on each day.

We will keep you up to date with developments related to the implementation of spectrum legislation and new broadcast innovations on The Future of TV website and blog. You can also get updates via your favorite social network when you connect with us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Paul
    Custom ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W PS, CM HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
    #2--P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS, Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by pcostanza View Post
    free, local broadcast programming is not jeopardized.
    I am not sure if many users will be satisfied with just being able to continue to get locals in SD via clear QAM so it isn't really a victory.

Martin
    Last edited by mvallevand; 2012-03-26 at 03:37 PM.

It's really only a temporary win anyway. It won't be long and the cable industry will get whatever they want. They have too many strong arms who are patient and will attack, likely successfully, when the time is ripe.

Paul

Any progress with this? Trying to get the new Mediacom QAM working here as well in NVPR.