Thread: Dll assembly referencing

Dll assembly referencing

I want to use a newer version of the taglib-sharp.dll that sub distributes with NPVR for use . I know that I get version errors in the code if the same version dll that is referenced in my C# project. Is the dll assembly lookup smart enough to match on the dll version if two of the same named dll's are found? Specifically could my plugin use a dll in Common and NextPVR continue to use the old one in ProgramFiles?

Martin

Sorry, I dont know the answer to this.

I can update the version of taglib-sharp.dll in the next release if it'll help?

That would be great. MB4 has primarily been using another library that is not current, and taglib-sharp is the way to go. I haven't had major problems with the 2008-Jan-10 version you have but the change log is very large, and because MB4 scans potentially 10's of thousands of files I like to be current.

The tarballs are here http://download.banshee.fm/taglib-sh....0-windows.zip for th 2011-Apr-13 and the source is here https://github.com/mono/taglib-sharp for the GNU reference.

Martin

It has been a while since I played with this stuff but looking at some of my code and just off the top of my head...

Assemblies referenced in a build are version specific so even if one is found matching the filename, .NET will complain if it's not the right version. As far as I know there's no reason why you can't have a particular version elsewhere and allow npvr to use what ever it's built to use.

You can put your own assembly resolution handler into a plugin which allows you to check known folders (such as Common) and then return that assembly.

Ok thanks, I'll try in common for testing for now and see what happens. I am pretty sure mismatched dll versions will load in .NET too so there is more to this then I want to investigate thoroughly., but it gives me things to surf while I watch TV.

Martin