I did some searching but finally decided to put all my questions together to see if I could get the answers easier. A little history: I've been using DVRs for years, multiple providers, including TiVo, and decided I was tired of the monthly fees so I want to set up my own DVR. I have an IT background but have been mostly out of IT for quite a while now. I feel comfortable building my own computers, but have no idea what's good anymore.
Here's the setup I want:
- Two HDTVs
- Ability to record 4+ shows at once, all in HD
- Don't want OTA, just through cable company
- Ability to watch recordings on either TV
What exactly do I need to accomplish this? Advice on specific hardware would be appreciated. Not afraid to spend some money but would like to keep it reasonable.
Here are a few extra questions:
- How do I set up multiple tuners, do I need a cable splitter and run multiple cords?
- If I have to run multiple cords, do I run one from the wall to the cable box, then to the splitter, then to the PC?
- Will I be able to switch between recordings and watching live TV without an issue? I want it to work as much like a normal DVR as possible.