Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Additional remote info from Wiki

and I have just noted that pBS has come online to the forum

there is the master of all remote and blaster set-ups!

Been trying for ages to get pBS to see these threads

cheers

steeb

With an MCE remote, you only need a 3rd party app (Event Ghost, IRSS, etc) if you need to control an app other than NPVR (that is not MCE aware) or you want to do something really fancy). The MCE remote (if you have the one with the colored buttons) will do everything the Hauppauge remote did. No software needed! Also, it's pretty easy to configure with registry settings that are easy to implement. Check these links from XBMC that are also applicable for NPVR:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...rol_in_Windows

http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/support.html

And search here for posts by pBS.

Also, search for program MCERemoteMapper - a GUI program to easily configure the remote buttons.

Oh, heck, just download this attachment and go at it.

If you need a blaster for a STB, that's beyond my experience.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    HTPC: E7500, Nvidia 9500GT, ATI Theater 650Pro/Firewire Network Recorder/Avermedia Duet A188, NPVR 3.1.1, Win7 Pro
    Test: Asrock 890GM Pro 3, Athlon X2 255 , internal HD4290, ATI Theater 650Pro, NPVR 3.1.1, Win7 Home Premium
    Backup: Athlon 3200, Nvidia 7600GT, Network Recorder, NPVR 2.5.5, Win7 Home Premium

Thanx for the support and input... The old wiki page is organized well and full of info. This with modifications could and should be used within the current wiki. I would like to see a selection from the home wiki page describing navigation within npvr. It can cover keyboard, mouse, and remote commands. From each selection there would be more selections to dig deeper. The new keyboard and mouse reference chart would just reflect that type of navigation. I was using npvr for a few months before I knew that there were additional selections by using the up arrow from keyboard, or a mouse hover at top. With the variances regarding different remote manufacturers a whole new can of worms will be opened. We here actually have a worm farm to create chemicals that our garden enjoys!

I will start a new thread regarding advice on my setup... I have pics saved, many info printouts, etc... Hope that interested users can follow my ramblings. I mainly just hit "New Posts" when hitting the forums..

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Grampz View Post

with modifications could and should be used within the current wiki.
    Indeed the old wiki is a great ref resource

I would like to see a selection from the home wiki page describing navigation within npvr. It can cover keyboard, mouse, and remote commands. From each selection there would be more selections to dig deeper. The new keyboard and mouse reference chart would just reflect that type of navigation.
    If I have understood correctly then I would have to entirely disagree. You think that the HOME WIKI PAGE should cover this?

Or do you mean that the page that covers Keyboard Shortcuts/RC's etc should do this?

I was using npvr for a few months before I knew that there were additional selections by using the up arrow from keyboard, or a mouse hover at top.
    I agree with this, I do not think it is that clear on the wiki as to how these options are accessible.
    With the variances regarding different remote manufacturers a whole new can of worms will be opened. We here actually have a worm farm to create chemicals that our garden enjoys!

I will start a new thread regarding advice on my setup... I have pics saved, many info printouts, etc... Hope that interested users can follow my ramblings. I mainly just hit "New Posts" when hitting the forums..

Greg
    As your wish, but if you would like to chat to the wiki people I am sure that we would listen and help you write some of this stuff straight into the wiki

cheers

steeb

As your wish, but if you would like to chat to the wiki people I am sure that we would listen and help you write some of this stuff straight into the wiki
    I tend to discuss many things on threads that I follow and create. I have been advised by others to stay on topic of the thread.

I would like to see a selection from the home wiki page describing navigation within npvr. It can cover keyboard, mouse, and remote commands. From each selection there would be more selections to dig deeper. The new keyboard and mouse reference chart would just reflect that type of navigation.
    If I have understood correctly then I would have to entirely disagree. You think that the HOME WIKI PAGE should cover this?
    I was referring to a link from the left side of Wiki Home Page "Navigation within npvr" link, or something similar..

Greg

I tend to discuss many things on threads that I follow and create. I have been advised by others to stay on topic of the thread.
    Grampz, this is good advice from others. However I would have to be open here and admit (if you look to loads of my threads) that I am one of the most guilty members of this forum (if not the most senior member) for drifting into/out of on topic/off topic threads. And I am sure most other senior members would agree

However that does not mean it is good practise, having said that....

I was referring to a link from the left side of Wiki Home Page "Navigation within npvr" link, or something similar..

Greg
    I really see where you are coming from here and what you are getting at.

Currently wiki has "Using NextPVR" and the then a devolved link to Keyboard ref. How about replacing "Keyboard Ref" with "Navigation" "Navigation Keys" "Navigation Keys and Remotes" or something similar. That would to me make more sense?

Thinking thinking thinking.

I thhink for starters that this is some really good input you have brought up here...

very best and cheers

steeb

Thinking thinking thinking.
    That must hurt! I know it does for me... I am glad you are following my thoughts. Let's drill down to the beginning, which is http://www.nextpvr.com/ A very nice introductory page to the software, it's features, download, and promoting Sub's creation to commercially sell his coding work. So a newbie, as I was, downloads the package, and installs it.

Well, things are just not working. I go back to the home page (nextpvr), and jump to the forums where I get overwhelmed, but start digging, and asking questions. I follow many new and older threads that can contradict each other. I then figure out what "wiki" means and follow that. I get suggestions to follow threads from the old gbpvr wiki regarding remotes, and it is much more informative and laid out better than the current wiki. But this is old info and may not apply to current operating systems. More confusion. More downloads/tests/failures/hours wasted/etc..

There was a post by (gosh ?) that gave a step by step approach in setting up the IR Server Suite. Were many positive replies, and a recommendation to get this on the wiki,so it would not get lost in the forums. Well, I lost it and will have to dig it up. Been busy dealing with other issues the past few days..

This post is on and off topic, but so goes it! My apologies..

Greg

There was a post by (gosh ?) that gave a step by step approach in setting up the IR Server Suite. Were many positive replies, and a recommendation to get this on the wiki,so it would not get lost in the forums. Well, I lost it and will have to dig it up.
    Found it:
    http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...r+server+suite

Nice write up BTJustice. I haven't set it up yet but look forward to it using your guide!

Greg

That must hurt! I know it does for me...
    It does hurt! Sort of pleased it does for you too! I mean not pleased that it does hurt you but glad you understand

I am glad you are following my thoughts. Let's drill down to the beginning, which is http://www.nextpvr.com/ A very nice introductory page to the software, it's features, download, and promoting Sub's creation to commercially sell his coding work. So a newbie, as I was, downloads the package, and installs it.
    Yup

Well, things are just not working. I go back to the home page (nextpvr), and jump to the forums where I get overwhelmed, but start digging, and asking questions. I follow many new and older threads that can contradict each other.
    Yup, many memebrs of this forum would disagree with you about how helpful the forum is. sub probably being the first one. But I find the vbulletin software lacking (and have said so) and the search function of it is crap. I find trying to find things on this forum VERY confusing, have said so, and tried to make some changes.

I then figure out what "wiki" means and follow that.
    OK. I think it would be reasonably fair to say that most people know what a wiki is/used to be. But I do not think that it is clear enough that the wiki is the "manual/user guide".

I get suggestions to follow threads from the old gbpvr wiki regarding remotes, and it is much more informative and laid out better than the current wiki. But this is old info and may not apply to current operating systems. More confusion. More downloads/tests/failures/hours wasted/etc..
    Frustrating though it may be. That is currently the way. The old wiki may be laid out in a way you like with more info. That was 7 years of work by many people. If I judge you correctly you are offering to try and get some of this stuff into the new wiki? Your confusion and hours of testing should be the way to write it up to help others? That is how the wiki works!

There was a post by (gosh ?) that gave a step by step approach in setting up the IR Server Suite. Were many positive replies, and a recommendation to get this on the wiki,so it would not get lost in the forums. Well, I lost it and will have to dig it up. Been busy dealing with other issues the past few days..
    Seen from further post that you have found this now. So why not write that up on the new wiki, currently in the structure that is there. That will get you familiar with the wiki.

This post is on and off topic, but so goes it! My apologies..

Greg
    None needed, that really was nothing like the way I can go off topic

cheers

steeb

I am totally thrilled with finally being past the skip issues. So many thanks to Sub's work and all the input he has received from others.

I also am quite stoked in how I have my remote customized to do exactly what I want.

So why not write that up on the new wiki, currently in the structure that is there. That will get you familiar with the wiki.
    Since I am no longer trying to fix problems, I now have some extra time to contribute to the wiki. How do I get started?

Greg