Thread: Capture device for analog HD

Capture device for analog HD

This has probably been answered before but I can't find it, so: What are the options for a capture device to capture analog output from a STB in HD (720 preferably)? And what's the cheapest?

"Show me your passport and I'll tell you who you are"
    (new Norwegian saying)

hauppauge hd-pvr (usb) and hauppauge colossus (PCIe)
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    hauppauge hd-pvr (usb) and hauppauge colossus (PCIe)
    This is the only ones supported by npvr? Are you using any of them, if so, what would you recommend?

(new Norwegian saying)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf View Post
    This is the only ones supported by npvr?
    These are pretty much the only ones on the market with hardware encoder. I think Avid or someone might have one too, but I dont know anything about this device.

I use the HDPVR love it and recommend it. They were actually on sale here for $165 CDN last week and well worth it as long as the analog hole exists. Your success may depend on how well your blaster works, I use firewire and it is nearly flawless. If your STB has optical out you can use that too.

Martin

Thanks both, I'm building a htpc for my son, and he has a STB for dvb-t reception which uses a paired Conax along with a dvb-c capturecard.

(new Norwegian saying)

I have an HD-PVR and a Colossus (in separate pvr) - they are both great, but if you have a PCIe slot available, I'd recommend the Colossus. The HD-PVR does need to be power-cycled from time to time, although the "F" firmware version is much more stable, even better than the "E" version. I use the ir links with these to run the remote - the HD-PVR is slow to respond and the ir needs resetting from time to time also. For best results the HD-PVR needs to be on a dedicated USB controller. I use firewire for channel changing with both devices.
    npvr 3.2.9/win7/msi880gma-e53/athlonIIx3-445/radeon6450/colossus/hvr2250/hdhrdual/hdhrprime/1tb disk/3gb ram/dch3400/comcast/schedulesdirect