Thread: Disabling the ability for clients to record

Disabling the ability for clients to record

Hi, is there a way that I can disable the recording option on clients (running on windows XP) I tried making the recording path read only but this just crashs the system or makes it ver unreliable.

I know there is an option to make the client a TVviewer and not a pvr, but I want all the menus still so I can access music and videos

Cheers

If you don't want live tv or recording, don't set it up as a "client". Just set it up as you would the main system (without tuners) and point to your music and video libraries.

No, there's nothing like that available.

The only way I can think of to do it would be to edit the skin files on the clients to eliminate the Record and Quick Record buttons from the dialog box. I'm not sure how feasible that would be though (honestly I'm not even sure it's possible - I think the program itself controls which buttons are displayed, the skin only controls where they show up).
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 2012-02-03 at 07:53 AM.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

@whurlston - I presume though he still wants to be able to watch recordings and livetv; he just wants to eliminate the option to initiate a recording from the clients.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

That's why I said "if". The the main HTPC's recording folder can be added as a video library on the "client". Not much you can do about LiveTV if you want to remove the ability to record.

In Settings->Plugins unticking, the EPG, Live TV, and Search will stop everything but manual recording.

Martin

no, that wouldn't really do it either; the Find All function would still be live, so additional shows of existing recordings could be scheduled. It would also still be possible to modify or cancel existing recordings, and of course the Manual Recording function, while somewhat hidden, can pretty much do anything. The key bindings for the LiveTV and TV Guide would still work as well, but those could be edited out of the config.xml.

It wasn't proposing a perfect solution, there's still NEWA after all, but it will stop nuisance recording from kids on the remote. Whurlston's solution is the locked done model.

Martin