Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Streaming video: major re-think required

Quote Originally Posted by whurlston View Post
    Unfortunately not. PlayOn will be required. I can't even play the Netflix streams within NextPVR natively due to the DRM.
    Ok, so if I understand things right, you will be able to provide your own interface to Netflix, and then use PlayOn to deliver the video. That sounds good to me, most of my troubles with PlayOn have been getting files from NetFlix.ca to actually appear on the PlayOn list.

Martin

imilne junior
    Got a good giggle out of that one!!!! Kids are gone from the house here, just me, the wife and pets.. Fish, dogs, bird..

Hey Martin, U do much fishing up there in Canada? The MN North shore is my favorite vacation retreat!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    Ok, so if I understand things right, you will be able to provide your own interface to Netflix, and then use PlayOn to deliver the video. That sounds good to me, most of my troubles with PlayOn have been getting files from NetFlix.ca to actually appear on the PlayOn list.

Martin
    Correct. I will only need PlayOn for the actual video playback on the NMT.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampz View Post
    GHey Martin, U do much fishing up there in Canada? The MN North shore is my favorite vacation retreat!
    I haven't fished for 40 years, when I got tired of catching weeds. Lakes are certainly good though, even with the black flies, deer/horse flies and mosquitoes.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    I don't understand delivering SD to a phone or tablet, but then I never understood delivering transcoded HD content to an MVP. Many people still use their old PVR150's etc to capture analog SD from their HD STB's, and remain satisfied with letterboxed SD, which I really dislike. Sometimes you use what you have.
    Hiya Martin,

yes indeed, but we are all of course individual consumers. The point I was making was that an on demand service would only ultimately be connected (for now) to my Living Room where I expect the quality to match the technological capabilities of the system I have in there. If I have used NextPVR with a PVR150 to record something I really wanted to watch (for free) then I would accept that limitation if I watched it back through my all singing and dancing system.

The only MVP I have left running now full time is in the Kitchen (& 1 I use outside in the summer for temporary use) back though a very small LCD screen that has no high res quality anyway. This does not bother me as it is only to glance at any Live TV or Recording whilst I cook/wash/clean. But obviously would not use it to actually stream a full movie!

As for Netflix to me it is more about choice when something else isn't on. I don't know about other countries but here in Canada many of the old shows are still SD quality and even shown 4:3 via an HD broadcast. At least most of the Netflix stuff is widescreen. The don't deliver much new content here the selection is much more limited then in the US, but in the last week or so the started with original content "Lilyhammer". If they can deliver content to the cloud like HBO did to cable, it will be awesome. I haven't seen it yet but it is 8.6 on IMDB.

Martin
    I love this idea/concept of Netflix and others are appearing now in the UK as options.

BUT as I run NextPVR as my total Media solution I would never want to have to go into anything else rather than a plugin to view any streamed content. And once again, as this would be through my Main Living Room Audio Visual equipment I would expect the standard to be high, for something I was paying for

cheers

steeb

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. Shame it seems unlikely ever to be realised...
    - Super-quiet PVR: Antec Fusion case / Gigabyte 780G / 2.5GHz AMD X2 4850e / 2GB RAM / silent ATI 4650 graphics / 30GB SSD + 1.5TB HDD / 2 x Hauppauge HVR4000 / Win7+nPVR -->Pioneer 42" plasma + Arcam FMJ AV9/P7 pre-amp/power-amp 5.1 surround system into PMC GB1 speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by liteswap View Post
    That's exactly the point I was trying to make. Shame it seems unlikely ever to be realised...
    I still think your original point that sub has to do this is way off. Have a look at whurston's fantastic YouTube plugin to see how well services can be added as a plugin.

Martin

steeb is eating his own words

from a previous post on this thread I was totally against paying for current streaming services like Netflix etc and always thought I demanded the highest quality for something I was paying for.

I take back that since I bought a very old 42" Sony Plasma off ebay for the princely sum of 46 and stuck it on my wall. No it is not HD ready, the res is 1024 max. The contrast is not totally to satisfaction. But I do not know what I was whining about

I have caught up all of the latest "Top Gears" through BBC iplayer through my laptop plugged into the screen and the latest ITV drama "Whitechapel".

There is very little lag and the biggest problem though only slightly annoyed by it is the contrast.

The audio I presume is always downmixed to stereo anyway??? Or have I got that wrong? Not in position to test at the mo.

Would I fork out for a Netflix/LoveFilm etc account if I could use it as an inbuilt plugin with NextPVR?

YES. Am actually surprised how far this has come.

Words eaten

cheers

steeb

I haven't used this plugin yet as I need to dedicate some time to building a new Machine, but the playon plugin for sage works fine. Maybe one of the sage plugin makers that are working with NextPVR now can bring it up to snuff if it isn't.