Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: change channel # after ota scan

change channel # after ota scan

when i scan for channels with an ota tuner, i get the channel numbers in a sequential order.( 1,2,3,4,5 etc) these are not the actual channel number. ive tried changing them to a normal number for my area. scanned channel 1 might = 2.1 or channel 7 might equal 23.2. i can change them on the one window but when i close the window they revert back to the scanned number. is this normal? this has no internet connection and is being used for ota recording.

thanks

jd

Are you trying to enter the "." character into the channel number? It wont take that. It only knows about normal channel numbers like "23".

yes, our channels are broadcast over uhf frequencies and then convert to a normal number. lets say ota uhf channel is 19 but the actual channel could have many sub channels (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4) all being broadcast over uhf frequency 19. ive tried a dash but it wont accept that either. will it accept a space like "2 1"?

Yes, I know what these North American major.minor numbers are. In NextPVR you have to use regular old-school channel number though, like we do in the rest of world

I dont know what approach other US users use. There might be some scheme you can come up with though, like 21 = 2.1 or 201 = 2.1 or similar.

ok thanks

I went with 2041 = 4.1, 2042 = 4.2, 2251 = 25.1, etc.
    What, me worry?
    Biostar TZ77B MB | Core i3 2120 | 4GB RAM | 128 GB SSD | 2TB HDD x 2 | Antec 302 Case | Win7x64
    HVR2250 | HDHR Prime | PCH A-110 | PCH A-100 | Harmony 650 & 700 remotes
    Comcast | Schedules Direct w/ mc2xml & UltraXMLTV_Enhancer

I just fit the extra channels in whereever it made sense, and somewhat according to how I watch them. For example I made 5.1 channel 5, but fit channel 5.2 in at #8. I don't find it all that important to remember that channel 8 is actually a sub of channel 5... the content of the two channels isn't relatead, so it doesn't matter. In fact I don't care much for the whole x.y channel numbering scheme, so I'm just as happy NPVR (and GB-PVR before it) doesn't support them.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

I went with the scheme of adding a 0 where the "." would be. I have to deal with the misses so it has to be simple and similiar to how the regular tv works.

As I'm not in north America I may be way off the mark here but.....

I have never been able to figure out why someone hasn't made a set of ChannelIcons that have the x.x on them then all you would have to do is name the appropriate icon with the same name as it has in device setup & it would display that in the TVGuide etc.?????

For the networks icon the #.# name is going to different in every broadcasting station in Canada and the US. Some people like call letters which are also unique to the broadcast.

For ease of use I personally think the the numeric display only field in npvr.db3 should be changed to text or decimal to allow #.# because of DRM the key to success of NextPVR in North America is broadcast tv (good read here http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...364593094.html) as people cut the cord. It is what we are used to now.

Martin