Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wiki semi-broken

wiki semi-broken

Is anyone looking at fixing the wiki as it has been semi-broken ever since that hacking attempt the other day (I assume sub did some update that broke something else) & for me it displays really weird. It does give me this warning message at the top ...

"Warning: filemtime() [function.filemtime]: stat failed for wiki.d/totalcounter.stat.l in /var/www/gbpvr.com/nwiki/cookbook/totalcounter.php on line 1190"

I feel it is a bit of a let down at the moment now that we have a really nice main web page to have it displaying like it is currently can't give a good second impression to new users.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
    Is anyone looking at fixing the wiki as it has been semi-broken ever since that hacking attempt the other day (I assume sub did some update that broke something else) & for me it displays really weird. It does give me this warning message at the top ...

"Warning: filemtime() [function.filemtime]: stat failed for wiki.d/totalcounter.stat.l in /var/www/gbpvr.com/nwiki/cookbook/totalcounter.php on line 1190"

I feel it is a bit of a let down at the moment now that we have a really nice main web page to have it displaying like it is currently can't give a good second impression to new users.
    I know

I feel bad that I hadn't brought this up but have had some other stuff on my mind...

I don't think this is due to the hacking attempt but some stuff that sub and I were playing around with. Growing pains!

I would hope the intention is quite soon to integrate the new skin for the wiki that looks v similar to the new NextPVR web pages and migrate the forum also to nextpvr.com (retaining everything content-wise etc. Not a new forum, just a re-direct of URL!). It is what sub and I have talked about but takes a bit of time. Particularly when sub needs to keep working on the brilliant NextPVR

An easy workaround is to comment out the "includeonce totalcounter" line from the wiki's phpconfig.file.

Quote Originally Posted by McBainUK View Post
    An easy workaround is to comment out the "includeonce totalcounter" line from the wiki's phpconfig.file.
    Done!

Quote Originally Posted by McBainUK View Post
    Good.
    yes, very good for now, perhaps even excellent

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would just use this dead one..... the wiki isn't semi-broken any more but with the new layout (which, before I moan I will say overall looks "heaps & heaps" better than before) but now I find it hard to use as all the data is way down my screen & I am forever having to scroll up & down to get to what I want to read. Would it be possible to shrink the header part somewhat (to my eye it looks like it could be made quite a lot less deep & still have a real impact)??

I'm with Jaggy on this one - new look is actually quite stunning, but the header section could stand a bit of vertical reduction...

Also was there not a suggestion some time ago to change the "Here you will find 300 wiki pages covering..." to something less intimidating like "Here you will find articles covering..."

Alex
    (Lights-Out Celeron 2.66, 500GB, 2 x Nova-T 500, 1.4.7, XP Pro) x 2
    Laptop core2 duo client for developement.
    3 x Wired MVP & 1 x PCH A100
    WAF 99.99%
    There is absolutely no doubt that there is still fun in the learning...

I'd already given the same feedback. Hopefully they can come up with smaller version of the header.

I have been trying to find the source image files so a thinner header could be used. Steeb, can you help with this?

Thanks for the feedback, would also be interested in comments regarding browser compatibility of the new design.