Thread: BSOD hcw89.sys

BSOD hcw89.sys

Just had a 'Stop D1' today on my Win7 64bit system and it said hcw89.sys was the culprit. Thus is a hauppauge driver file.

My HVR2200 driver is vers 28162 from June last year and is the latest.

Google shows I am not alone but the reports seem to be for a couple of years ago.

Peculiar that this is the only one I've had as I have had the HVR2200 for a couple of years.

Anyone else seen this??
    C2Duo E8400, 4GB, GE8600GT, PCH A-100, HVR2200, NPVR 1.5.31, Win 7 x64.

I've been having the same BSOD with hcw89.sys recently on Win7 64-bit. No solution yet.

Found a possible solution. There is a pre-release driver whose release notes suggest a fix to "rare BSOD".

Driver Release 7.9.1.28259.PreRelease (09/16/2010)
    * Test to fix somewhat rare but reported BSOD.
    * Registry overrides for types of PageList Usage.
    * Disable some DeviceHolds.
    http://www.shspvr.com/ftp/download/h...prerelease.zip

Thumbs up for the 7.9x driver

Thank you goes to Yikes2000 and the link provided to the 7.9.1.28259. PreRelease driver.
    Installing this driver over the version 7.6.x supplied with the card, has solved a problem with my Hauppauge HVR-2200 TV card where it occasionally caused the computer to suffer long boot times. Normally the system would boot to the Windows login screen in 20 to 30 seconds, but with the TV card fitted, it would sometimes take 15 to 20 minutes. Since this card is installed in my main PC so I can watch live TV occasionally, rather than use it as a devoted media centre PVR, that would seldom need rebooting, it was an issue. When the long boot happened, Windows would then go on to work faultlessly, but invoking Windows Media Centre would display the "Searching for Tuners" message when trying to access Live TV.

I also previously tried to reset the Media Centre database, by deleting: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg1-X.db
    (details here: http://1geek1tool.com/2009/09/hdpvr/...enter-database)
    But this didn't fix this issue, but has helped me cut out the multiple channels listed for BBC1 / BBC2 / ITV etc from a total of five of each to one each, even though most of the others were not viewable. I wish Media Centre handled this better and would realise you don't need multiple versions of one channel! Set Top Boxes don't do this. BTW I am in a fringe reception area and a long way away from the main transmitter.

System:
    MSI 890FX GD70 Motherboard, AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor, 4GB memory, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD drive, Hauppauge HVR-2200, Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium