Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why are you not using NextPVR (yet)?

Bit of both here;
    I am using NPVR for playback run as a 'plugin' from GBPVR when I exit from NPVR it kicks back into GBPVR.

The reason for this is that the GBPVR recording service is rock solid and has all my recurring items set up. It also talks to ParaLED so that I can see the tuner activity. I like the NPVR interface and use that solely as a interface on playback-only 'client' machines.

I am not suggesting this is a particularly logical approach - but hey, you asked the question.
    Core2-E2180, 1G RAM, 1Gb-5450 Silent, 2Tb +300g HDDs.
    Three tuners: Twinhan DVB-T x 1, Hauppauge Nova 500T (dual)

DTB Digital SD + HD content (PAL-MPEG2-AC3).
    Custom case made very quiet. Zalman CPU cooler.
    Sits in rack with other HiFi.

ParaLED to show tuner activity.

Display: 42" 1920x1080p Panasonic Plasma

1x wired MVP
    1x PC client

I was thinking of starting a new post but I feel this one is still relevant even though it was started 29-Jan-2011

"I feel" there are still a lot of old GB-PVR users out there not using NextPVR yet (or like me not using NextPVR full time) & if we mostly sit back quietly waiting for something to change in NextPVR without actually posting what is stopping us for converting it could be (is already actually) a very long wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
    I was going to set this thread up as a poll but then realised users could have a LOT of different reasons that I haven't thought about to not be using NextPVR yet.

For me it is only partially correct as I am using NextPVR with an NMT for all my daytime usage, checking the weather, playing music etc. etc. etc. as all this stuff is heaps better with NextPVR, but I have not converted my main production server over yet for these reasons (in order of importance from my way of thinking):

(In brackets what I use with GB-PVR)

Too many reports of the RecordingService stopping working for a lot of users
    No way to manage my disks from my chair in the sittingroom (Supersimple archiver)
    No fully functional ScreenSaver plugin (MLPanel)
    No advanced Music plugin (Music Library3)
    No Movie plugin (MovieWizard)
    No way to change recording names etc. (WizEpisode Tweaker)

Now that's interesting, that list is lot shorter than I though it was going to be & I suspect if the locking up RecordingService could be sorted out I would actually change over right now.
    Too many reports of the RecordingService stopping working for a lot of users
    This is still my major concern & as GB-PVR has been SO reliable for me over many years (only two missed recordings I can think of) I "need" to feel NextPVR is at the same stage before I will change fully.

No way to manage my disks from my chair in the sittingroom (Supersimple archiver)
    Still nothing for this

No fully functional ScreenSaver plugin (MLPanel)
    60% fixed with SSPlus (more like 98% fixed with the pre-beta version I am running)

No advanced Music plugin (Music Library3)
    Fixed & way better than the GB-PVR version (thanks Martin)

Nope, still nothing for this

No way to change recording names etc. (WizEpisode Tweaker)
    Nothing for the either,

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
    There is the Files plugin that I posted some time ago with a similar functionality. (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...163#post405163) I got no feedback on it so it never made to wiki.

@Jaggy - while it's true there are a small handful of people still reporting some odd recording service issues, for the vast majority it seems now every bit as solid as GB-PVR or better. I've not had a recording service issue in several months now, and even before that the few problems I had earlier this year were were quite clearly tuner problems. Since 2.4.3 in particular, NPVR 'just works'.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

Yep, if what you want to hear about is people *without* recording issues, then add me to the list too...

Iain
    NPVR Plugins: AudioAdjust | AutoRefresh | MediaInfo | MovieTrailers | ReClockOrNot | SubMenu | System | Videos+

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    @Jaggy - while it's true there are a small handful of people still reporting some odd recording service issues, for the vast majority it seems now every bit as solid as GB-PVR or better. I've not had a recording service issue in several months now, and even before that the few problems I had earlier this year were were quite clearly tuner problems. Since 2.4.3 in particular, NPVR 'just works'.
    I know 2.4.3 is a lot better on a number of fronts than the earlier versions & I know a large amount of users are not having any Recording issues. I also know there is an issue with the current DeviceRules.xml if you have HVR-3000(s) & HVR-4000(s) in the same machine (like I will) & are recording DVB-S from both at the same time that will cause failed recordings (but the old DeviceRules.xml doesn't have this issue so I can get around that one). I would just like to see a period of time with less reported Recording problems before I change over........ call it old age

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy
    Quote Originally Posted by tmrt View Post
    There is the Files plugin that I posted some time ago with a similar functionality. (http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...163#post405163) I got no feedback on it so it never made to wiki.
    Oh @#$%^!!!

I knew my memory wasn't as good as it used to be but I didn't know it was this bad!!

I had completely forgotten about that post (as in I would have sworn on oath there was nothing like this for NextPVR) & what's worse is I had actually posted a message about it after you released it!! I also have no idea why I didn't try it out at the time as it does everything I wanted & more besides that will be more than useful.

This plugin "deserves" to be on the wiki (maybe it was just the timing was off when you released it?)

Some further comment in the other thread to follow....

Nope, still nothing for this
    Give the plex plugin a go. (by psycik)

While you have to run the plex media server, you can run this on a local or remote machine.
    Plex itself does a great job of getting all of the metadata etc, and as it's a client / server architecture, the resume points, watched indicators etc follow you to different PC's.
    It all runs in the background, and can watch your specified folders for changes.
    (I run my plex server on a linux unraid box, but it's works on mac & pc too)

Plugin:
    http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...highlight=plex

I tink you can also add your recordings folders to the media list too.
    "Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip!"

--= Win7, C2D 2.93 GHz, ASUS 9400GT Silent, 2GB Ram, Few HDD's, 3TB unRAID server, Samsung 50" 1080p Plasma via HDMI, 40" 1080i LCD via VGA =-- * PVR2000 Analog PCI / Avermedia DVB-S PCI / Hauppauge 2200 DVB/Analog * PCH GBPVR Client * *BD-E6500 w/ NPVR client*