Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conformity - Analog or Analogue

Conformity - Analog or Analogue

Dear all,

kind of reminds me of a recent debate about DVDs or DVD's

I'm not doing a poll

But trying to look at getting some conformity to words used across the doccy stuff!

Analog or Analogue?

Steeb

Just go with analog. Thats what I use in the app.

Sorted!

thanks Sub, now if everyone could obey that rule

This is for wiki! If anyone tells me off for changing analogue to analog I'll just point them to this thread

Steeb

Nice one - this is not just the normal UK vs US spelling thing...

The correct word for our purposes is analogue, but it's (and note the ' replacing the missing i) generally spelled analog in the US.

However, the english meaning of analog is "an object, concept or situation which in some way resembles a different situation"

if you shorten it further it would be anal

Quote Originally Posted by stustunz View Post
    if you shorten it further it would be anal

I can't stop laughing, but I'm glad you said that not me To be honest I can't say it hadn't crossed my mind

Unless of course you are hinting that this is an anal discussion where I would have to say it is not!

Steeb

what if you add an "l" and space it out a little... then you get "anal log"
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    what if you add an "l" and space it out a little... then you get "anal log"
    again

I have no thoughts towards my perfectly well intentioned post going the way of the 'cettle' 'where is my food' spammer post from the other day! I asked a simple question, I got a simple answer from Sub

I would myself have said analogue, Sub says analog.

Fine by me

How does one write you say tomato I say tomato ....... tomatoe, tomato, I can sing it but not write it!

Just trying to write some stuff up for the wiki, and wondered anal log or anal logue. What is a logue?

Don't answer that

Steeb

it does seem there's a lot of confusion about those two words; Wiktionary has it the way ACTCMS described, but Merriam-Webster has it exactly the opposite, as does dictionary.reference.com. Wiktionary is exactly as trust-worthy as Wikipedia, so discounting their definition it appears "Analog" is the only spelling that can be used as an adjective as in "analog television" or "analog data".

edit: look, it's post 2147 for me... let's all breath a sigh of relief that Rush didn't have an album or song titled "2147".
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    edit: look, it's post 2147 for me... let's all breath a sigh of relief that Rush didn't have an album or song titled "2147".
    Let's But what with helping on the forums and your inbuilt heat seeking spam control robot finder this will soon reach a higher number that I'm sure Rush have referenced in a song somewhere?

Steeb