Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7zip restriction on new wiki

7zip restriction on new wiki

I just got a
    "BlueRetroVE.7z: file is larger than allowed maximum of 2097152 bytes for '7z' files"

so the question is why the smaller restriction for 7z files than zip files?

That's probably the default for all attachments and the zip was just adjusted as it was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
    I just got a
    "BlueRetroVE.7z: file is larger than allowed maximum of 2097152 bytes for '7z' files"

so the question is why the smaller restriction for 7z files than zip files?
    Quote Originally Posted by whurlston View Post
    That's probably the default for all attachments and the zip was just adjusted as it was needed.
    We'll look into this. Suspect Whurlston is on the money. . zip has probably been given more size due to being the most common attachment. Jaggy, can you confirm, have you used .7z with old wiki before or just trying this now with new wiki?

Cheers

Steeb

I was not able to upload 7zip files to the old wiki.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    I was not able to upload 7zip files to the old wiki.

Martin
    Well let us see if we can make it so with the new wiki then

Steeb

Quote Originally Posted by steeb View Post
    Well let us see if we can make it so with the new wiki then

Steeb
    Thinking with my wiki head on. What would be the most common .zip de-compressor for users to be using? If .7z was a downloadable option on the wiki does windows natively do this? (don't know meself never use windows to extract compressed files) I use Izarc which seems to handle most things.

Steeb

Quote Originally Posted by steeb View Post
    Thinking with my wiki head on. What would be the most common .zip de-compressor for users to be using? If .7z was a downloadable option on the wiki does windows natively do this? (don't know meself never use windows to extract compressed files) I use Izarc which seems to handle most things.

Steeb
    XP Pro Windows Explorer doesn't recognize .7z files

Normally I wouldn't upload a 7z file to the wiki but it was only for users that don't like using the installer version of my skin which I do upload as a zip file & seeing the 7z file is 3763KB & the same contents in a zip file is 4136KB I thought 7z was better in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
    Normally I wouldn't upload a 7z file to the wiki but it was only for users that don't like using the installer version of my skin which I do upload as a zip file & seeing the 7z file is 3763KB & the same contents in a zip file is 4136KB I thought 7z was better in this case.
    I kind of think this is your and Sub's call. With my wiki head on (after initial thought of why not .7z) is the reason for .zip is because all native users of Windows will have an immediate way of de-compressing it. At a difference in download of less than 500KB I don't know if Sub would be that bothered. I think you would still have to offer a .zip as well anyway so that would almost double the total downloads on offer (well extra 75% ish) .........

Steeb

Sigh. Have computer users gotten so lazy that we have to do things just because of Microsoft defaults? Hopefully there is still some room for innovation. I think I am rehashing this from when sub added 7zip to the forums, but I remember when it was a challenge to get people to move to zip from arc.

Martin