234. You may not vote on this poll
  • g3pvr

143 61.11%
  • nextpvr

91 38.89%
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What name do you prefer...

What name do you prefer...

I think we're getting close to being able to remove that "Beta" status from NPVR, and at the same time I want to finalise the name the project will use going forward.

The options are nextpvr or g3pvr. What is your preference for the official name? I own both the nextpvr.com and g3pvr.com domain names.

"nextpvr" was originally a working name for the next pvr application I was creating, but its hard to change a name once you start using it.

"g3pvr" was a suggestion by bgowland a few months back which I really liked, since its similar to gbpvr, but also implies 3rd generation etc.

I think the nPVR considered Networked PVR by most techies, but branding can change that perception. I chose g3pvr for no other reason.
    Fatman_do

HTPC: AMD XP+2500, 512MB DDR (400) ~ Capture Device: Hauppage PVR-150
    Storage: 30GB OS & Recording, 160GB Post Processing & Archive
    Video Output: HD 32" TV via eVGA Geforce 6200le 256MB AGP DVI-HDMI cable out
    Audio Output: Turtle Beach Riviera S/PDIF Optic Output (Digital pass thru only) to Home Theater Receiver

Moderator | Tutorials | Community Skin | CommunitySkin-SVN

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman_do View Post
    I chose g3pvr for no other reason.
    People are free to post other name suggestions if they want, but they'd have to be pretty popular to get chosen at this late stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman_do View Post
    I think the nPVR considered Networked PVR by most techies, but branding can change that perception. I chose g3pvr for no other reason.
    +1

It was going to offically be "nextpvr", not "npvr", since I didnt have npvr.com and the general term npvr has been used before. As "nextpvr", it probably would have continued to be abreviated to "npvr" to save on typing during forum posts though.

I voted for g3pvr as if you call it "nextpvr" whatever do you call the "next" one?! (in as many years to come as it might be!)

Though I prefer G3PVR I have one reservation in that it might be a little confusing for upgraders. For example will the directory be G3PVR and if so this could lead to unnecessary difficulty in spotting typos for persons moving from GBPVR.
    Silverstone LC10M with iMON
    Gigabyte 780G+4850e, AMD 6570
    Blackgold BGT3620, Harmony 555 Remote
    Win7 32-bit, SAF

Quote Originally Posted by b00sfuk View Post
    Though I prefer G3PVR I have one reservation in that it might be a little confusing for upgraders. For example will the directory be G3PVR and if so this could lead to unnecessary difficulty in spotting typos for persons moving from GBPVR.
    To be honest, I dont think thats worth worrying about. It might trip a few people up, but most would be ok, a new users wouldnt know any different.

You're killing me here people, I've already done a logo for Next PVR
    The Hairy Man

HTPC: Core Duo E4300 - 2GB DDR2 - HD 3650 - 500GB storage
    Capture: 1 Nova-T 500 - 1 PVR 500
    TV: S-Video to 32" Philips CRT

Support the Community Skin

Given the choices, I vote G3PVR. To be honest, I don't see what is wrong with GBPVR v 3.0, but I guess I'm kind of a boring guy that way. Staying with GBPVR would allow the same web page and avoid all kinds of potential misunderstandings and shows the longer heritage of the project.