Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visual Movie Browser

Visual Movie Browser

This isn't an announcement as such, because the plugin doesn't exist (except in my head), but would there be interest in some sort of movie browser for nPVR that looked like the image below?

It's a blatant copy from similar plugins available in other media centre apps, and nothing more than a mock up to see if it was possible. Background image and elements are real; the posters are pasted on top with photoshop.

I don't want to step on anyone else's toes who might already be working on something like this, but if not, I'd appreciate suggestions for features/functionality and suitable sources for meta data. Personally, I'd just like something to browse my DVD/BD collection. Titles, short descriptions, IMDB ratings, etc - the bare minimum of info is fine (for me). I don't even rip stuff to my HTPC so the ability to play files isn't a priority either, but I can imagine it would be for others. I just want something pretty to fill a 1080 screen

I can imagine it having animations/fades/transitions/etc, with options to show/hide posters and text, but they're all problems to worry about if I ever start coding it...

Iain

Looks a little like Media Browser for Media Center. I use that sometimes myself and I wouldn't complain if it were available for NVPR.

Paul
    Custom ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W PS, CM HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
    #2--P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS, Windows 8.1

I would love to see this within the software. I use XBMC for movies precisely because I had not liked any of the movie plugins I had tried for GBPVR. (The same for music. Both the built-in video and music browsers function just fine but are uninspiring.)
    I love having the "fan art" show up in the background - it helps create the feel of the movie more than just the poster/cover - and the plot outline is handy. Not having to manually chase up good quality artwork and movie details is another bonus.

I would probably use a plugin as this as well.
    I have read in some threads that a support for background fanart probably will be supported in NPVR native in the future (near or far).

But I do think there will be room for more video plugins. with special features even if sub will add it in Video Library.
    GBPVR PC: Win7 ult x64 / Intel P Duo / 2 gb RAM / Asus Extreme Radeon HD3450 HDTV
    Video: Sony 40'' LCD TV
    Plugins: MovieWiz, MLpanel, Videos library, Music Spot, WebRadio - and skin: Community WS

Quote Originally Posted by 7ore View Post
    I would probably use a plugin as this as well.
    I have read in some threads that a support for background fanart probably will be supported in NPVR native in the future (near or far).

But I do think there will be room for more video plugins. with special features even if sub will add it in Video Library.
    Yep, I'd welcome a plugin too.

"Show me your passport and I'll tell you who you are"
    (new Norwegian saying)

Something like this is what I had in mind for the new Videos Library plugin. I was planning to integrate my BD plugin and update the GBPVRLibrary project for the metadata. It hasn't materialized yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by whurlston View Post
    Something like this is what I had in mind for the new Videos Library plugin. I was planning to integrate my BD plugin and update the GBPVRLibrary project for the metadata. It hasn't materialized yet though.
    A perfect example of why I wanted to mention this before starting work on it!

Maybe we should try something collaborative? Although I think I'll probably play around with some ideas in the short term regardless. My main priority is just to have something graphical for browsing. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

There's some other interesting threads going on as well that are probably relevant to this, mainly about metadata support and sub's hatred of the billion and one formats out there

Iain

If this is a replacement for MovieWiz, then I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by imilne View Post
    Maybe we should try something collaborative? Although I think I'll probably play around with some ideas in the short term regardless. My main priority is just to have something graphical for browsing. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
    Go for it. I'm pretty swamped at the moment. I can help you out where needed (including getting native BD playback -- without menus of course). The code for the Videos Library project for GBPVR is available on Google code if you wanted to look at it too.

@imilne: Something you may be interested in, JavaWiz is willing to turn over his code for someone to maintain it while he is unable to do so: http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread....new-benefactor