Thread: systray

dear sub,
    perhaps i am not understanding what this small systray app is for...

i am using remote and tv-out only. no keyboard, no mouse, no vga.

i think that it would be a great improvement if the small app could listen for keystrokes on the remote and do some nice things:
    -shutdown/restart pc
    -stop/restart gbpvr client
    -run epg update
    etc...

Please... ^^
    Hauppauge PVR 350 - Nova-T USB2 - Intel 2800MHz? - 512 MB RAM - Windows XP - No Mouse nor Keyboard.

The GBPVRTray utility is only meant to provide a simple visual indication that a recording is inprogress (green icon/red icon).

sure, but you could do more with it...
    Hauppauge PVR 350 - Nova-T USB2 - Intel 2800MHz? - 512 MB RAM - Windows XP - No Mouse nor Keyboard.

Well, you think about this as a "domain" thing. When you design a system, certain parts of functionality go to specific components (like you don't want business logic coded into a jsp web page).

All the things you mentioned, and they are certainly worthwhile a thought, should be part of the PVR application itself. And "suprprisingly", a few can already be found. There is a shutdown plugin, and you can create external task in the GB-PVR config program, e.g. for getting new EPG data.

yeah, the shutdown is nice, but there are more things to think about.

for example there might be more applications using the tv-out. the systray app could end the client and start another app and vice versa.

I am a TV-OUT-Only-User and I my wishes usually try to make things easier for guys like me. Today, I have to "remote-control" my pc to often with VNC...

a small central application may control many pieces of the whole environment...

I hope I could explain what I mean...

Take a look at Girder

I have TV-OUT only, but I also have a wireless mouse and keyboard to configure and manage the system. *Would this help?

Also, if you are using the Hauppauge remote, you can customize the IRREMOTE.ini file to run other programs from GBPVR and also outside in Windows or other apps.

Hope this helps...
    Ben
    -------
    Intel MB, P3-1GHZ, 512MB RAM, 200GB drive, WinTV PVR-250, Radeon 7000 PCI with composite video out, Windows XP Pro.

Oh I forgot, but to do the update epg manually within GBPVR, you can create a custom program that calls GBPVR.EXE with the -onlyupdateepg argument.

Sub and all the plug-in developers have created lots of options to extend GBPVR.

Ben
    -------
    Intel MB, P3-1GHZ, 512MB RAM, 200GB drive, WinTV PVR-250, Radeon 7000 PCI with composite video out, Windows XP Pro.