Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Archive feature on recording screen..

I'm not that keen on implementing this, but let me know how you'd see it working and I'll consider it.

I'd like to be able to archive from Recordings and Videos through, and ideally make a NEW Archived menu, so the Recordings screen remained lean and clean.
    I dont see me making any change to the Video Library for this, but along the lines of psycik's original request, I could possibly add an 'Archive' button in the Recordings screen (when you view a recording's details, next to 'play' etc), which would simply move the recording to a different directory. I dont see me adding a new 'archive' view or anything complicated/ugly like that. ie, the recordings would just be shown were they currently are.

While I'm not one of the original requestors of this feature, I can certainly see it being useful. I was working on building a NAS box before the Thailand flooding blew hard drive prices into the sky, and will return to the project at some future point when hard drive prices return to rational levels (the pricing has eased some, but I'm still paying as much for 160GB drives now as I was for 2TB drives 6 months ago!).

As to how it would work, I think it should be as simple as just transferring the recording file(s) to whatever the "Archive Path" is set to, keeping the same folder structure.

I can see where some people would want the show to remain in the recording database for easy access from the usual interface, while other people would want the archived show removed from the recording database and intend to access it via Videos or other playback programs/devices, so they'd want a config.xml setting and/or Settings checkbox for that.

Assuming you do allow an archived show to remain in the database, you'd need to add logic so that when a show is Archived, it's also protected from automatic deletion due to the "Keep X number of episodes" logic (i.e. the old GB-PVR "Keep" function). Finally, an "Archived" indicator would be nice, so the user can see which shows are archived.

It also occurs to me that some people are going to want a "PostArchive.bat" script to be called, so they can transcode the show after it's moved over or extract subtitles/CC's, xml info, etc.
    NPVR Tech Support Sticky - - http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.p...612#post473612
    ---------------------------
    my config: NPVR 3.2.9/Win7Pro/Athlon II X3-440/radeon hd4550/hvr-2250/hvr-850/KWorld 315U/TimeWarner QAM & Analog, OTA ATSC/schedules direct

while other people would want the archived show removed from the recording database and intend to access it via Videos or other playback programs/devices, so they'd want a config.xml setting and/or Settings checkbox for that.

yep. I move any movies that I have recorded and want to keep to my archive drive, where media center master adds fanart to the folder and renames the folder to include the MPAA rating. These are then accessed via Videos whenever we want to watch a movie, complete with lovely fanart.

I have always felt that what npvr needed was a media manager whereby you could access files via say videos and "do something" with it, such as copy to a mem stick (al la McBainUK's old plugin), transcode it, archive it to another folder/drive, launch an external player with, burn to dvd. I guess the options and peoples requirements would be endless so it would need some kind of framework from Sub to facilitate this.
    Silverstone LC17 Case,
    ASUS P5Q, Intel E7200, 4GB RAM
    Blackgold DVB-T2, ATI 7750, Windows 7 64-bit
    SAF codec pack,Sony 40" Z5500

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    I dont see me making any change to the Video Library for this, but along the lines of psycik's original request, I could possibly add an 'Archive' button in the Recordings screen (when you view a recording's details, next to 'play' etc), which would simply move the recording to a different directory. I dont see me adding a new 'archive' view or anything complicated/ugly like that. ie, the recordings would just be shown were they currently are.
    For me, the only thing I would definitely want is a filter that would exclude flagged archives. I wouldn't want the copy function inside NextPVR, copying a 8GB file to a share takes a long time and would block NextPVR far too long since I don't leave NextPVR running when not its not in use. Although it could be powerful if it spawned Archive.bat that allowed me to do what a wanted, with a few more options added to NScriptHelper.

If you do change the Recordings menu, I'd also like a flag for visible="@tbnExist" and Image source="@tbnImage" from current directory and Media\Shows. for name.tbn

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    As to how it would work, I think it should be as simple as just transferring the recording file(s) to whatever the "Archive Path" is set to, keeping the same folder structure. .
    YUP!

.. while other people would want the archived show removed from the recording database and intend to access it via Videos or other playback programs/devices, so they'd want a config.xml setting and/or Settings checkbox for that..
    This is me ..like XRecord used to do... :-)

k.
    ASUS P5K-PRO Q9300 @ 2.5GHz | Win7 x64 | 6GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD3400 PCIe Video Card | 1 x PVR-150 | 2 x WinTV DMB-TH | Various HD's | AC66U | USB-UIRT | PCH-A100 |
    If you've ever become frustrated because something in GBPVR or NPVR is not working, take a moment and consider this and this and this and this and this and this. Credit where credit's due; for one guy (with a wife and two kids), most problems are solved outrageously quickly. Patience.

guidePlus will move recordings to 1 of 2 directories depending upon if it is a series or movie. It does this after the nightly update epg function as it is renaming files. It also has a WOL feature if you are moving things to a NAS.

I'm with johnsonx42 on simplicity wrt transfer to a new path (disk in my case).
    Also would be even happier to see an Archive menu where the show name appears.

That's all! Thanks!

While I'm not one of the original requestors of this feature, I can certainly see it being useful. .... <snip> As to how it would work, I think it should be as simple as just transferring the recording file(s) to whatever the "Archive Path" is set to, keeping the same folder structure.
    k.
    ASUS P5K-PRO Q9300 @ 2.5GHz | Win7 x64 | 6GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD3400 PCIe Video Card | 1 x PVR-150 | 2 x WinTV DMB-TH | Various HD's | AC66U | USB-UIRT | PCH-A100 |
    If you've ever become frustrated because something in GBPVR or NPVR is not working, take a moment and consider this and this and this and this and this and this. Credit where credit's due; for one guy (with a wife and two kids), most problems are solved outrageously quickly. Patience.

I looked at Guideplus but it needs file renaming tweaks and isn't really what I was after.

Quote Originally Posted by carpeVideo View Post
    guidePlus will move recordings to 1 of 2 directories depending upon if it is a series or movie. It does this after the nightly update epg function as it is renaming files. It also has a WOL feature if you are moving things to a NAS.
    I'm with johnsonx42 on simplicity wrt transfer to a new path (disk in my case).
    Also would be even happier to see an Archive menu where the show name appears.

That's all! Thanks!

While I'm not one of the original requestors of this feature, I can certainly see it being useful. .... <snip> As to how it would work, I think it should be as simple as just transferring the recording file(s) to whatever the "Archive Path" is set to, keeping the same folder structure.
    k.

I have a similar configuration on my existing BTV system. After a recording the files is comskipped and compressed at RAID 0 speeds. Then daily I run a script that looks at the files and moves them to another drive array, only after the recording is a given number of days old. This gives me the chance to watch it and then delete which generally happens within 3 days. Then the files get moved.

But the problem I have seen now is that a file dropped into a directory does not show up in NPVR and I believe I have to use NSCRIPTHELPER to get it to show up in the recordings. So a process running in NEXTPVR monitoring it's directories for new files could solve this problem.