Thread: Has anyone built a Gray Hoverman Antenna?

Has anyone built a Gray Hoverman Antenna?

I'm thinking about building one of these:

Has anyone built one and how hard was it go get right?

The only time I've seen any drop out is during thunderstorms.
    EVGA 730i 113-YW-E115
    C2D E8400 C0 Stepping
    4gb GSkill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    500 GB Seagate SATAII
    Win7
    HVR-2250 TV Tuner
    NPVR 2.3.6

I built one - I used thick copper wire on plywood - I definitely works better than the typical HD antennas but height and decent line of site is still helpful.

A buddy of mine built one out of plywood and coat hangers. Picks up every channel a commercial antenna would pick up and with better reception all for the low low cost of $0 in parts (had all of the parts laying around the house).
    ----------------------
    PVRX2 1.3.11
    Shuttle SG33G5 Case
    Core2Duo E8400 3Ghz -- 4 GB RAM
    Hauppauge PVR-150
    Adaptec AVC-3610 Dual Tuner
    Onboard Intel GMA 3100 through HDMI -- 500GB
    37" Westinghouse LCD (1920 x 1080p)

Projects
    Program Image Tool

I built a variant of the Hoverman Antenna and a few other types, including an lpda (long periodic dipole array) all have worked well, the lpda worked by far the best but cost about 40 to 50 dollars to build because it was made out of aluminium, if any one is interested I will post some pics.
    Server:
    Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200
    Intel GMA4500
    40gb System drive 400gb Recordings drive
    2gb ram
    Pinncle PCTV HD PCI Capture Card
    2 AverTV USB Volar ATSC HDTV Tuner
    Hauppauge HD PVR
    Client:
    AMD Athlon 3300+
    Nvidia 8600GT 256M
    1Gb ram
    250gb Hard Drive

"There's a fine line between enemy and friend, where that line is there is no beginning and no end"
    From Childern of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by bogyver View Post
    I built a variant of the Hoverman Antenna and a few other types, including an lpda (long periodic dipole array) all have worked well, the lpda worked by far the best but cost about 40 to 50 dollars to build because it was made out of aluminium, if any one is interested I will post some pics.
    What was the increase in range of lpda over the Hoverman? My parents have a cabin at a lake and need a range of about 50-75 miles.
    EVGA 730i 113-YW-E115
    C2D E8400 C0 Stepping
    4gb GSkill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    500 GB Seagate SATAII
    Win7
    HVR-2250 TV Tuner
    NPVR 2.3.6

i found this in the docs for a second revision that shows even better flat gain..
    http://www.jedsoft.org/fun/antennas/dtv/gh.html

"As the plots show, the antenna appears to be quite tolerant of construction errors on the order of plus or minus 1/8 of an inch (3 mm)."
    wooohoo, a whole 3 mm....lol

i made a simpler 2-bay design out of coathangers and there seems to be plenty tolerance..

i'd say it's "the more gain you need, the more precise you need to be...." for all the designs..
    1. C2D 1.6ghz XPPro, ATI HD4650lowprofile,Cat 8.11, Aver M780, KWorld PCI 120, MVP, GBpvr 1.4.7, Comm. Skin. VFD, Imon plugin w/SmartieLCD[custom]
    2. C2D 2.53, XPPro, ATI HD3450, Kworld 330U, Comm. Skin, GBpvr 1.4.7
    Author: Pvrx2 utils- Simple Archiver.bat, NTFSLinker [Junction gui]
    Universal Util: MCE Remote no-software trick and Shutdown Protector
    3. Zotac Mini ITX G41[$84] + ati 650pro pcie[$29], Celeron duo[$22] BDRom drive [$48]

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    What was the increase in range of lpda over the Hoverman? My parents have a cabin at a lake and need a range of about 50-75 miles.
    I cant speak for that range but normally for that range you have to go to a larger out door antenna. Mine was used in a dorm room at the time that was on ground level on one side of the floor and below on the other side, in addition to being on the far side of the building from where the transmissions came from about 20 miles away. My signals went from about 50 to 70% to 80 to 95% on the hardest to tune channels with the lpda, which was what was need to get stable reception on all channels. The lpda also helped with the multipath issues I had trying to get signal that where bounced off the building nearby.

This is the web site I originally found the info about the diy antennas, they seem to require registration now.
    http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showforum=72
    and I found some info at avs that might be of help, in addition there is sights out there that will do the calculations for lpda's you would want to make at lest a 2 foot probably 3-4 foot lpda to get the most signal.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=856621

also keep in mid that with the dtv transition finally coming that some if not all of your current channels are going to migrate back to the original channel assignment which most major networks are vhf.
    Server:
    Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200
    Intel GMA4500
    40gb System drive 400gb Recordings drive
    2gb ram
    Pinncle PCTV HD PCI Capture Card
    2 AverTV USB Volar ATSC HDTV Tuner
    Hauppauge HD PVR
    Client:
    AMD Athlon 3300+
    Nvidia 8600GT 256M
    1Gb ram
    250gb Hard Drive

"There's a fine line between enemy and friend, where that line is there is no beginning and no end"
    From Childern of Dune

Here's a bigger version, it receives Fox from 62 miles apparently with some room to spare

http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...na-Big-Bertha/

Martin