Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my series plugins and networked files

maybe somebody can answer this for me, or tell me if it just plain doesnt work for some reason....but i can't get any files, exposed through network shares, to play over my MVP. my set up is such: dedicated gbpvr pc, additional pc (with archived music, vids, pics), and MVP -- all on the same LAN. through the my series (My Videos, My Pictures, My Music) i can only access files that reside on the gbpvr pc -- it can't seem to find any of the network shares. from the my series plugins on the gbpvr box, these shares all work. am i doing something wrong? i've got mapped drives, but i've also tried plain network shares (\\pc2\music). anybody have any luck doing this sort of thing?

pov.

i using the plain old \\comp\dir and its working fine, not via MVP (there may be security reasons why its failing, i dont own a MVP so dont know the ins and outs of them).

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (reven @ Feb. 23 2005,16:27)]i using the plain old \\comp\dir and its working fine, not via MVP (there may be security reasons why its failing, i dont own a MVP so dont know the ins and outs of them).
    that was a _ridiculously_ prompt reply...wow. thanks.

dotNET is really annoying with networking security sometimes, it could be that. i'll play with it some more...

pov.

i think the mvp uses a different user account than the one logged in as, or something like that, remember reading ages ago about security/different users or something along those lines.

All services run as the system user.

Open up control panel administration services.

Right click on the service.

There should be something to run as user. Then put your local username and password. Then you can access your network shares.

jorm
    WinXP Home
    3 X MVPs
    Hauppauge 250 MCE
    Hauppauge 150
    P-4 2.4 GHz / 768 megs Ram
    610 Gigs Of Media Storage

Question

I too am having the problem where I can play MP3's and Videos off a shared drive only thru the GBPVR host computer but not via the MVP. When I try to open the shared directories on the MVP, I get the "Contacting Servers" message after 8-10 sec., then the "Previous Directory" icon or just a blank display where the folder list should be. I'm using the current version of GBPVR and I know I have been able to get the shared media out of the MVP before, but not consistently. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ronkmd
    I too am having the problem where I can play MP3's and Videos off a shared drive only thru the GBPVR host computer but not via the MVP. When I try to open the shared directories on the MVP, I get the "Contacting Servers" message after 8-10 sec., then the "Previous Directory" icon or just a blank display where the folder list should be. I'm using the current version of GBPVR and I know I have been able to get the shared media out of the MVP before, but not consistently. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

ok, so, yesterday i finally 100% resolved this issue...and i couldnt be happier. i have the MVP on the TV next to my bed, and now i can listen to all of my mp3s when i go to sleep or wake up. i LOVE it.

so, here's what i did...but i'm not sure which steps are totally necessary...just that now it works all of the time. strangely, before, when i had these problems, about 15% of the time it would work...but i could never figure out how to reproduce it.

my set up is this:
    - MVP
    - HTPC running GBPVR
    - networked PC for storage/file shares (mp3s/videos)

to finally get it to work, i had to create a new user account on my HTPC with the same account name that existed on the networked PC. i suppose i could have used Adminstrator for both, but i chose something else (eg. "gbpvr"). i set up identical (same user name and passwords) on both the HTPC and the networked PC. my HTPC is set to auto-login using the "gbpvr" user account. then, i opened the services tab on the HTPC (Start->Run "services.msc"), and changed the Properties of the GBPVR Recording Service to run as the "gbpvr" user account, instead of the local account (im not sure this step is necessary). and now it works, all of the time. it's wonderful.

ronkmd, if i failed to explain this very well, or you have any questions, just ask -- i'd be glad to help in any way.

pov.

Thumbs up

Pov,

Followed your advice and have things working properly - finally (after some .NET errors, reinstalling, and such). Thanks for your help!!

Ron
    Last edited by ronkmd; 2005-04-08 at 03:12 AM.

this worked for me today...a year+ later!

Reading and reading through posts i believe this is what my problem is with not being able to access recordings stored on other machines.

I have a question i'm hoping someone can answer. Right now i have my internal network set up so i don't need to log on at all, there is only one user, me and it just starts right up.

If i add another user just so i can access the network drives from the MVP will this auto logging get screwed up? I do it this way because of power failures happening more than they should and then lasting sometimes longer than my ups can keep up with. The computers also run the home automation for the house so they need to be able to come back up on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by povarotti View Post
    ok, so, yesterday i finally 100% resolved this issue...and i couldnt be happier. i have the MVP on the TV next to my bed, and now i can listen to all of my mp3s when i go to sleep or wake up. i LOVE it.

so, here's what i did...but i'm not sure which steps are totally necessary...just that now it works all of the time. strangely, before, when i had these problems, about 15% of the time it would work...but i could never figure out how to reproduce it.

my set up is this:
    - MVP
    - HTPC running GBPVR
    - networked PC for storage/file shares (mp3s/videos)

to finally get it to work, i had to create a new user account on my HTPC with the same account name that existed on the networked PC. i suppose i could have used Adminstrator for both, but i chose something else (eg. "gbpvr"). i set up identical (same user name and passwords) on both the HTPC and the networked PC. my HTPC is set to auto-login using the "gbpvr" user account. then, i opened the services tab on the HTPC (Start->Run "services.msc"), and changed the Properties of the GBPVR Recording Service to run as the "gbpvr" user account, instead of the local account (im not sure this step is necessary). and now it works, all of the time. it's wonderful.

ronkmd, if i failed to explain this very well, or you have any questions, just ask -- i'd be glad to help in any way.

pov.