It's been twelve months and one day since the last update was posted here. With the release of 1.3.11 and the new shutting down event, I finally got around to doing a little more work on this plugin.
Also over the last twelve plus months, cybrmage has done significant work on this plugin for MediaPortal, including a substaintial rewrite of some sections and renamed it 'minidisplay', including better integration with the iMON software and spectrum analyser displays.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to implement the Spectrum Analyser/VU Meter display the way I would like to, despite some researching. There are plenty of examples to get sound samples of a microphone input/line in, but I've not found any C# examples to grab samples of 'what you hear'. I've found some C++ examples that seem interesting to explore and pursue, but they use MFC, and Visual Studio Express doesn't include these files, and the Open Source OFC hasn't helped me either. So I've parked this problem for now and thought I just release what I have.
There may not be any significant changes in this version that would cause users to choose to updrade, however, the more significant changes include:
- shutdown should be improved with the new 'shutting down' event. Please not that release is note compatible with pre 1.3.11 as a result.
- the LCDHype driver has been revised, and provides greater functionity with LCDHype drivers. I have not included the drivers here, in case there are licencing issues, but you can get them from other sources and put the driver into the externaldisplay\lcddrivers folder. I hope that this new driver remains compatible with the drivers users may currently be using.
- font editors and icon editors in iMON
- improved integration with the iMON remote control. Some users have reported difficulties in getting the iMON remote control working correctly in the past. Since my Hauppauge remote is intermittment (I put into a dehumdifying dry cabinet for a day of so, and it works again for a day or so!), I was forced to use the iMON remote, so this part of the code I know works for me. I had to add some additional code not included in MiniDisplay to get this working. (The original MediaPortal code wouldn't work for my system if iMON was already running, so if it is running and some initialisation fails, iMON is shut down, initialisation continues and then iMON is restarted so that the remote control works)
- improved integration with iMON Frontview (it can be set to reload upon PVRX2 exit).
- the intergration with Soundgraph hardware extends to searching for the drivers actually used by the iMON software based on the information in the registry.
- better integrated support for all other SoundGraph devices - Antec, 3R systems
- MatrixMX and MatrixGX Drivers are included
The only risk is that something might have broken in the port, and since I do not have any other VFD/LCD displays, I am not able to test. I don't use all the options available in the setup panels and have not bothered testing them all. Some options are not implemented although not disabled (EQ is the obvious one). So you've been warned!!
Nonetheless, if you are game,
- download the new version below
- make a backup of the xml configuration file in the plugins\ExternalDisplay folder if you have customised your message, and backup your LCDHype driver.
- uninstall the old ExternalDisplay via the uninstaller
- install the new version
- reinstall your backup xml file and LCDHype Driver.
- run the ExternalDisplay configuration
As usual, please set debug logging for PVRX2, and extending logging in the ExternalDisplay configuration and post the logs for support. I'll do my best. I think I've just opened a can of worms with this post.
Aug 1, 2009
Bug Fix - Fix arithmentic overflow error for display type LCD2 (see this post)
Mar 30 2009
V0.2 Mar 22 2009
- Debug Form – internal volume monitor now working
- RestartFrontView was always run, irrespective of options setting
- Fixed the installer to re-include CommonGBPVRUtilities.dll
- Recording in progress/pending message broke in the Feb 09 version
- iMon display type LCD2 wasn’t handled correctly (shutdown errors and no icons displayed)
- Stray music icon when watching movies removed
- Cancel button in setup form cancels
V0.2 February 2009
- #currentmodule set to the EventText when
- EventType=”PluginActivated”. Message will ‘flash’ for five seconds
Extensive changes to drivers following great work by cybermage for ‘minidisplay’ at MediaPortal. This has required some changes to the interface with GBPVR