Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comcast Digital Adaptors!!!!

Comcast Digital Adaptors!!!!

I just received notice from Comcast that starting 2/17/09 Digital Adaptors will be needed to get channels 25-99. Channels 2-24 will continue to be sent in analog. They will provide up to 2 digital adaptors for free.

Does this mean that my PVR150 and M150 (analog cards) will only be able to record channels 2-24?!!

What do us guys with analog cards do? Can we somehow use the adaptors to feed the cards?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I would suggest getting a QAM capable digital tuner or tuners. The digital "Adaptors" you get from comcast just remap the QAM frequencies to the numbers 2-99 and have a digital to analog converter with an RF modulator in them so you can tune to channel 3 or 4 on your analog TV and watch the digital channels. This means that all the channels you got analog will now have digital QAM equivalents. You then map the QAM channels to your EPG channels in GBPVR and you're good to go. Plus you get the added benefit of "multi-record". Channels that use the same base QAM frequency can be recorded at the same time with one tuner. Comcast puts a lot of channels on the same base QAM frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by khaver View Post
    I would suggest getting a QAM capable digital tuner or tuners. The digital "Adaptors" you get from comcast just remap the QAM frequencies to the numbers 2-99 and have a digital to analog converter with an RF modulator in them so you can tune to channel 3 or 4 on your analog TV and watch the digital channels. This means that all the channels you got analog will now have digital QAM equivalents. You then map the QAM channels to your EPG channels in GBPVR and you're good to go. Plus you get the added benefit of "multi-record". Channels that use the same base QAM frequency can be recorded at the same time with one tuner. Comcast puts a lot of channels on the same base QAM frequencies.
    Thanks for the reply, khaver. How does one go about "mapping" the QAM channels to the EPG? Is there a guide or something I could read to learn?

I'd love it if Cox Cable would just tell us what the heck is in the plan for the future. I've heard rumor that Cox in other areas of country may get these tuning adapters (for free) soon to test. However, they will barely even discuss anything QAM with us. Comcast, at least, is keeping you up to date.

Paul
    Custom ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W PS, CM HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
    #2--P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS, Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by khaver View Post
    I would suggest getting a QAM capable digital tuner or tuners.
    What type of file does the digital tuner create for an SD digital TV signal (I'm not interested in HDTV, yet)? My PVR150 and Avermedia M150 create mpg files. I typically watch these in my MVP upstairs. Will the files created by a digital tuner be viewable on the MVP?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm feeling rushed by Comcast's sudden 02/17/09 date for dropping channels 25-99!

Quote Originally Posted by ww4397 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, khaver. How does one go about "mapping" the QAM channels to the EPG? Is there a guide or something I could read to learn?
    In "config" you will first add a digital tuner to GBPVR along with an EPG that contains info for all the channels you will be getting with QAM. You then have it scan for all available QAM channels. Once that is done, you have to "map" the found channels to the corresponding channels in the EPG. This is where the preview window in the "Map digital channels" helps you.

You can also go to: http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels and enter your zipcode. This will get you a list of QAM channels on your cable. Looking at the CHANNEL and PROGRAM numbers along with the CALL SIGN, you can more easily map the QAM channel to the EPG channels.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ww4397 View Post
    What type of file does the digital tuner create for an SD digital TV signal (I'm not interested in HDTV, yet)? My PVR150 and Avermedia M150 create mpg files. I typically watch these in my MVP upstairs. Will the files created by a digital tuner be viewable on the MVP?
    It depends on the mux. I think you can use the Cyberlink mux to create mpg files.

If the QAM route doesn't work out, you can connect the STB to the Composite/S-Video and audio inputs on the PVR-150 and use an IR blaster to change channels.

Can someone explain wht the purpose of the adaptor is

Does it convert a digital signal back to analog? I am so confused.
    HTPC Server: 2.3gh AMD Quad 9600, 4GB ram, 320gb HDD, 1TB HDD, and 750GB External USB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 8600gt, Win 7 (32bit), (2x) HVR2250 using QAM

Client: AM2 5600, biostar 790GX (onbard HD3300), 4gb memory, Vista, LM remote mapping app, Acer Revo R3610 (Atom N330) Win 7, 785G (HD 4200), Win 7, 4gb ram

Does it convert a digital signal back to analog? I am so confused.
    Its effectively a Set Top Box. It does have an analog output, but it'll only be putting out the single channel it is currently tuned to. To control the set top box you need to use an IR Blaster, so that you can fake the signals its remote uses, to tell the box to change channels when you need to.

The digital adapters that comcast lets you use for free are not STB's. It is mearly a QAM to analog convertor with an RF modulator (I have 2 of them). There is no analog video out. It re-modulates the converted digital signal to channel 3 or 4 so your analog TV can receive the channels.

Get a digital tuner. You will be much happier. Plus you will get the HD QAM channels as a bonus.