Thread: modify wiki

modify wiki

how do you modify the gbpvr wiki

the page http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Utility/MC2XML

is wrong and gives bad information. it should not use "-f" in its example command lines because it is abusive

that page should just point to the mc2xml home page which has proper gbpvr examples

Quote Originally Posted by jdg View Post
    how do you modify the gbpvr wiki

the page http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Utility/MC2XML

is wrong and gives bad information. it should not use "-f" in its example command lines because it is abusive

that page should just point to the mc2xml home page which has proper gbpvr examples
    What do you mean abusive?

Also, when I wrote this page, (and I believe currently) that the author's site alone is not enough information to help a newbie configure GB-PVR.

If you wish to make a recommendation to change the GB-PVR user specific wiki page, please...
    Frank Z

I used to ask 'why?' Now I just reinstall...

Quote Originally Posted by zehd View Post
    What do you mean abusive?

Also, when I wrote this page, (and I believe currently) that the author's site alone is not enough information to help a newbie configure GB-PVR.

If you wish to make a recommendation to change the GB-PVR user specific wiki page, please...
    The software even says it in a Notice in the window when you use "-f".

Just think, you are redownloading the exact same data you already have in the existing xmltv file over and over again even when there is nothing new if it hasn't been updated on the server. There is no reason to create this burden. Now times that by thousands of users.

It should only download when there is NEW data. The program does that normally. "-f" is not needed in a nightly script and is actually bad when you think about it. (just think if it was YOUR computer that everyone was downloading from)

The website has a section "How would I use mc2xml with GBPVR? " which is step by step and more clear to me.

The gbpvr wiki is the homepage for many other gbpvr specific utilities, but it shouldn't try to duplicate the homepage of utilities that have their own real homepage and are not gbpvr specific.

The wiki isn't editable so it is always out of date. People might only look there and not the real homepage. Like the option section looks like it lists all options, but it doesn't mention titantv or schedules direct options since it is so out of date.

The software even says it in a Notice in the window when you use "-f".

Just think, you are redownloading the exact same data you already have in the existing xmltv file over and over again even when there is nothing new if it hasn't been updated on the server. There is no reason to create this burden. Now times that by thousands of users.

It should only download when there is NEW data. The program does that normally. "-f" is not needed in a nightly script and is actually bad when you think about it. (just think if it was YOUR computer that everyone was downloading from)

The website has a section "How would I use mc2xml with GBPVR? " which is step by step and more clear to me.

The gbpvr wiki is the homepage for many other gbpvr specific utilities, but it shouldn't try to duplicate the homepage of utilities that have their own real homepage and are not gbpvr specific.

The wiki isn't editable so it is always out of date. People might only look there and not the real homepage. Like the option section looks like it lists all options, but it doesn't mention titantv or schedules direct options since it is so out of date.
    It seems like your words are pointed as if you are taking offence. It's almost as if this little hobby of ours is becoming work...

Anyway the page is edited and defers to the main page...

The wiki page was written because there was a period of time in which the author's site was unavailable
    Frank Z

It seems like your words are pointed as if you are taking offence. It's almost as if this little hobby of ours is becoming work...

Anyway the page is edited and defers to the main page...

The wiki page was written because there was a period of time in which the author's site was unavailable
    Sorry if my words were pointed that way... I am just stumped/frustrated by the wiki not being open like every other wiki

Things could be kept relevant and up to date and not depend on the time other people have for the hobby if the wiki was editable like wikipedia

the negative side of that is things can be changed to be wrong also without anybody knowing

Actually wiki access is granted by sending a PM to Blader_se. It may take a few days, but you will be given an account with login information. It isn't "open" as in the wild internet has access, but it is open to user requests for access.
    Fatman_do

HTPC: AMD XP+2500, 512MB DDR (400) ~ Capture Device: Hauppage PVR-150
    Storage: 30GB OS & Recording, 160GB Post Processing & Archive
    Video Output: HD 32" TV via eVGA Geforce 6200le 256MB AGP DVI-HDMI cable out
    Audio Output: Turtle Beach Riviera S/PDIF Optic Output (Digital pass thru only) to Home Theater Receiver

Moderator | Tutorials | Community Skin | CommunitySkin-SVN

Sorry if my words were pointed that way... I am just stumped/frustrated by the wiki not being open like every other wiki

Things could be kept relevant and up to date and not depend on the time other people have for the hobby if the wiki was editable like wikipedia
    A joke I love hearing and passing on often:

"Where'd you get that information?"

"I read it on wikipedia... so you know that it's GOTTA be true!"
    If the wiki was open, then the few of us that are quite active, would be spending all of our time reading the daily drivel that comes in, fixing spam, speeling errors (sic) and generally fixing people's 'information' so that it's accurate.

Wikipedia is a great idea. The idea is, that amongst our varied knowledge, if we share, WE become more knowledgeable. Unfortunately, with our varied knowledgbases, comes an equally varied set of opinions as to form, content, spelling, structure and even simple teaching principles. These variances, which can be extreme, make the student very confused indeed.

Please feel free to get involved. We always need content writers, and proofreaders. All too often developers will not write a wiki page, or at least write it in English rather than Geek-Speak

And judging by what happened a few months ago by someone (who shall not be named) who HAD access, I think things are good this way.

I would go so far as to say, it is the better way. And because it's on the internet, Zehd has to be right!
    Frank Z

And judging by what happened a few months ago by someone (who shall not be named) who HAD access, I think things are good this way.
    WHAT??? Lord Voldemort had access to the wiki???

sorry, couldn't resist, was just to tempting
    Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Yep, what he said.
    curiosity killed the cat