Thread: Vista & S-VHS, 30hz max?

Vista & S-VHS, 30hz max?

Hi Guys,

My new PVR is working fine. Only a minor thing . . . when I'm in the TV Guide I get some noticable flicker. I played around with the different resolutions and refresh rates and it seems that Vista is only allowing 29 & 30hz for refresh rates? Should be 60hz here in the US, shouldn't it?

Any work arounds?

I've actually liked using Vista Ultimate, it's just been fairly painless, but I do I have a copy of Windows XP Pro if I need to load it up to get a higher refresh rate.

The m/b is an Asus M2NPV-VM with GEForce 6150 built on the board, I've tried Nvideo 175.19 and 163.69 drivers and am running Vista Ultimate. The TV is an old Toshiba 27" CRT.

Thanks!

Steve

60Hz is for a progressive signal. 30Hz is for an interlaced signal.

This seems to be an issue with Vista & Nvidea.

Nvidea says:

-30Hz is Microsofts strange way to present 59.94Hz / Interlaced. NVIDIA on GPU TV Encoder support 59.94Hz or 29Hz the way the Microsoft Vista User Interface wants to reports it by cutting the refresh rate by half if it's an interlaced entry. So 30Hz is 60Hz/interlaced and 29Hz is 59.94Hz/interlaced.

So 30 should be 60, but many report that under XP set to 60 they had no flicker but under Vista set to 30 they do.

I may get motivated to load up XP and see for myself, but I'm not in a hurry - it's not that bad, it just happens on the guide page. All the other screens are fine. And it's not really that bad. I've been test driving GBPVR the last couple days and I'm kinda hooked, so I dunno if I can bring myself to mess with it! 8->

how it is

hmmm, 60 fields interlaced *is* 30 frames/second, and 60 fields non-interlaced is 60 frames/second....microsoft is talking about frames/sec [full screen updates]
    i run my 720p display at 1920x1080i and it looks better than 1280x720p on all material, tho the ever so slight flicker is evident on the menus,but this is because of the way it is generated..
    actually the modes presented to you are from the video driver, and they can pick either fields/sec or frames/sec to show you, but underneath they all work the same way...just naming semantics...

if you truly set a display to 60hz/interlaced, it will have to run at 120hz to get both fields..
    my intel driver states i'm running at 1920x1080x60hz, which is impossible on my display...
    [max 1366x720 resolution]
    so the drivers don't always tell it like it is.,..
    1. C2D 1.6ghz XPPro, ATI HD4650lowprofile,Cat 8.11, Aver M780, KWorld PCI 120, MVP, GBpvr 1.4.7, Comm. Skin. VFD, Imon plugin w/SmartieLCD[custom]
    2. C2D 2.53, XPPro, ATI HD3450, Kworld 330U, Comm. Skin, GBpvr 1.4.7
    Author: Pvrx2 utils- Simple Archiver.bat, NTFSLinker [Junction gui]
    Universal Util: MCE Remote no-software trick and Shutdown Protector
    3. Zotac Mini ITX G41[$84] + ati 650pro pcie[$29], Celeron duo[$22] BDRom drive [$48]

My driver is just giving me three resolution options = 1024x768, and odd one I don't remember, and 720x468 I think it is. At the highest resolution I get a pretty pronouced flicker and some of the white lines on the grid seem to be darker than others. At the medium resolution the flicker is less and the lines are all OK. At the lowest resolution the flicker is a lot less, barely noticeable, and the grids are all fine.

All the other screens are fine, it's just the guide. In fact the program descriptions also look good, just seem s to be something with the grid or something. It's not a deal breaker for me, I've been ejoying the heck out of GBPVR for the last few days!

I may load up XP just to see . . . unless someone is running a M2NPV-VM and wishes to save me time . . . anyone out there? Is there any flicker on your guide screen when using S-VHS?

Thanks!

Steve

Many months ago, I abandoned my onboard 6150 and bought the cheapest fanless graphics board I could find .. a 7100.

I cannot now remember what it was that the 6150 couldn't cope with ... but the 7100 handles everything with ease. All my viewing is currently SD.

Good Luck
    AMD A75, 4 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N210
    1 x Blackgold BGT3620 dual DVB-T2
    1 x kworld USB dual DVB-T (IT9135)
    2 x Hauppauge Nova-t PCI

Were you also using the M2NPV-VM motherboard? Are you also using Vista?

An update - I reloaded with XP Pro and now the flicker is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SLR_65 View Post
    Were you also using the M2NPV-VM motherboard? Are you also using Vista?
    Apologies, I missed your post.

I use a Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G board with XP.
    AMD A75, 4 Gig, 1000 Gig, Nvidia N210
    1 x Blackgold BGT3620 dual DVB-T2
    1 x kworld USB dual DVB-T (IT9135)
    2 x Hauppauge Nova-t PCI