Thread: MVP and Dongle vs others

Lightbulb MVP and Dongle vs others

Hi everyone. Been a while since I've been here. Mainly due to personal reasons, but also due to the fact my setup has been working fine and remains working.

Anyway I bought a netgear EVA8000. Reason was I was going to get a HD TV and was attracted by the upscaling capabilities, the ability to play vobs and divx. divx so so (sometimes jerky), vobs no longer, need the ifo file. upscaling never got to try, didn't get the TV!

Well after spending 200 - verdict?

mvp and mvpmc and gbpvr win hands down. Don't get me wrong there are some nice features on the EVA8000. But even for basic playing video over the shared directories, the mvpmc wins. Ah well you don't know how good it is until you waste money elsewhere!

btw I am still on 0.99.5 and using the mvpmc (mallavend version). Need to upgrade at some point.
    Last edited by onestar; 2008-07-12 at 07:15 PM.

I consider the MediaMVP, mvpmc and GB-PVR separately are not as appreciated in there own markets as the should be, the are all pretty amazing pieces of work. With all I've written about the advantages of PCH I still use mvpmc for native audio and internet radio the most and switch to ML2 when I want a jukebox, or uburadio for the hard-to-get streams.

Just last week I was talking to Hauppauge and the MVP is still a core and viable product in the line. I'm still hoping to get AC3 on the MVP and then who knows maybe DVD iso's if their engineers can provide a bit more information on the ac3 and pcm decoders.

Sub's changes with PVRx2 included noticable improvements in the mvp handling but if you're happy, I'm happy.

Martin

Martin,
    I am confused about all this. I have tried to play "pseudo-DVD" on the MVP (see this thread post 6 onwards). I did select AC3 decoder for audio. On the GBPVR server, which has no sound devices connected, the images were visible, though to much stretched vertically. The MVP showed nothing, also no sound. From your FAQ post on HD content I understood that all GBPVR does with my VOB file is sending it to the MVP. So I gather that my DVD settings below make no sense for MVP. Correct? Does this also mean there is no way to play VOBs on the MVP today? Confused
    Pieter
    Last edited by pz1; 2008-12-25 at 09:54 AM.

I haven't tried but my guess is that GBPVR is not exposing the VOB files in a pseudo DVD so that you can play them. If you rename video_ts and/or the .ifo files to something else it might be better.

To answer your question mvpmc does support vob files natively and you can even select the audio, video and DVD subtitle track, AC3 is not not going to be in sync and DTS is only available as digital passthru. mvpmc also supports basic dvd iso playback via its vlc interface.

This is not available in emulation mode, in fact if I remember gbpvr passes vob files to ffmpeg for on-the-fly transcoding. If you rename the vob to mpg, it will work too, but you won't get the extra features of mvpmc except there is a GO key to switch between MP2 and AC3 audio track.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    I haven't tried but my guess is that GBPVR is not exposing the VOB files in a pseudo DVD so that you can play them.
    I copied the whole VIDEO_TS folder under a directory "testvob" in the Video directory hierarchy. See screenshot below for the "pseudo-dvd"that GBPVR renders. I can select this one and let it play on the PC console...
    Last edited by pz1; 2008-12-25 at 09:54 AM.

Pieter you haven't changed the file structure enough so GBPVR still think it is a DVD. If you copy individual vob files it should appear in your video library just like other mpg files.

You can also copy a vob to your mvpmc share and see how it plays through the mpvmc file system.

Martin