Note these instructions are valid but the recommended install method is in the Dummies guide the installer does all of this for you!
The following instructions are for the installation of the mvpmc2 custom client for GB-PVR, an MVP emulator for the Popcorn Hour A100 Media Extender.
Use of mvpmcx2 and modifications in this guide are at your own risk. If you are not comfortable with the process, please ask a question before proceeding.
Part A. Installation.
Installation can be complicated this is really the first time anything like this has been attempted. Syabas have said that they will provide support for user apps which should make this easier, although it is unlikely they will assume any risks either.
Follow these steps noting that these steps use the mvpmc share as a base. You can use any share in place of the mvpmc share should you wish and you can also customize these to use a USB drive or internal drive if you have the expertise. If you are unsure of what directory to use use share a folder called C:\mvpmc.
Important when editing these documents do not use notepad, use an editor which will saves the file in a linux compatible format. The following "free for non-comercial use" program has been used successfully edtiing mvpmcx2 scripts http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html
1. Download the sample scripts from http://www.mvpmc.org/~mvallevand/pch_script_samples.zip
2. Unzip and save all these files in your mvpmc share
3. Modify script.cgi and replace xx.xx.xx.xx to the IP address of your gbpvr server/mvpmc share. Some Vista have reported they have had to replace username=guest with username=root and if their share is read/write they needed to replace ,ro with ,rw too.
4. Add the mvpmc share to you PCH 100 and make it your default Media Source by selecting it.
5. Modify telnet.html in two places replacing EditMe with the name exactly as it is presented on the PCH Media Source screen.
Do not use the the name from the network share screen
6. Modify startmeup by removing the "#" character from the beginning of the line which is appropriate for your television . Some call it the hash, octothorpe, number or even pound sign, so I will call it a #.
Note: GBPVR software is available here http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php...25&postcount=1
Part B Test Telnet.
1. Open telnet.html from your PCH and select the Telnet option. You should see a message on your TV screen that Telnet has been enabled.
2. Telnet to your PCH by issuing Start->Run->telnet IP
Note that the IP is from your PCH and it can be found on the PCH's Setup->Maintenance->Network screen
This should open a DOS-like window . Type exit to close it.
If these steps fail please start over, if you have problems post a message here.
Part C Download mvpmcx2
1. Get the current version of mvpmcx2 for PCH mode http://www.mvpmc.org/~mvallevand/mvpmcx2.zip Updated 081223
or preferably the advanced version for PCH2 mode http://www.mvpmc.org/~mvallevand/mvpmcx2o.7z Update 20110706
2. Unzip this to your mvpmc share
Part D Configure GBPVR for access from the PCH 100
1. Open config.exe and make these change
a. On the MVP tab autostart an MVP server
b. On the Misc2 tab enable the web server on port 7647 and the NMT extension.
c. If you install a digital TV card, select a mux other than the DVR-MS on the Misc2 tab "BDA Multiplexer"
2. You need to have your firewall open for GBRecordingService.exe for TCP and PVRX2.exe for TCPand UDP
3. Edit config.xml to add PCH features here is a sample
Part E Test.
<!-- Choose PCH2 or PCH for your client type-->
1. Using the telnet.html in B.1 Select the GBPVR option
2. The GB-PVR screen should appear on your PCH
3. Enjoy GB-PVR
4. Hit the Power Off key on the remote to return to the PCH software
Part F Running mvpmcx2.
Once mvpmcx2 is setup properly every time you power up your PCH from the plug you will need to run the Telnet option in telnet.html to initialize mvpmcx2
After this you only need to run the GBPVR option shown in Part E
Part G Limitations.
- resume must be off
- no comskip
- blank screens - hit the "any key"
- audio will return to screen saver
- very limited testing of plugin compatibility
- "Play all" in audio can't be stopped
- can't change channels in livetv
- uses the Popcornhour's media player controls not gbpvr's
- cannot power down while media is playing
- software problem my require you to unplug the unit to reset it (same as with the MediaMVP)
- only the Popcorn Hour device has been tested
- does not support HE-AAC LATM audio use on HD TV in New Zealand and Norway
- the mvpmc share can be to any folder however Vista users need to be aware of the security problems in unzipping files to "C:\Program Files"
- Force Minimal OSD settings for the MVP must be checked in Config.exe
Part H Troubleshooting.
- ensure your screen dimensions in config.xml match the --display command line option
- check your firewall, you need to have your firewall open for GBRecordingService.exe for TCP and PVRX2.exe for TCPand UDP
- make sure the command line options are correct
- restart you PCH if you have an error the graphic library doesn't reset itself after an error
- Make sure you are using the current version fo mvpmcx2 and have all the patches to GB-PVR.
- If you use a direct connection between the PCH and your GBPVR server and you cannot connect, modify your startmeup file to include the actual server ip with this option --emulate xx.xx.xx.xx