Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hauppauge WinTV DMB-T released in Hong Kong

Hauppauge WinTV DMB-T released in Hong Kong

Hi. I've recently purchased a "Hauppauge WinTV DMB-T digital HDTV/SDTV stick" from DVclub.com.hk (in Shamshuipo, Hong Kong). The distributor is Shooting.com.hk.

This is a digital TV only USB2 stick released specifically for the Hong Kong market. It was
    released on the 19th Feb. for pre-orders and general availabilty will be on the 25th.

It comes with Arcsoft TotalMedia as the software rather than WinTV. Check the Shooting website
    for a software bugfix patch.

With Arcsoft TotalMedia I get the recorded SDTV channels as MPEG-2 transport streams and the
    HDTV channels as MPEG-4 transport streams.

I was hoping Hauppauge would give me the best compatibility with GB-PVR but no luck so far.

So how do you set this up for GB-PVR? How can I test if I have BDA drivers?

When I select Direct Recording plugin my device is not listed in the capture devices list. I just get a blink of a black screen and it returns to the main menu when I try Live TV.

When I select BDA Recording Plugin, again my device is not listed in the Devices Type list. If
    I try to "Map digital channels to EPG channels" it says "Failed to locate configured BDA
    capture device" then crashes.

I am using GB-PVR v1.1.5. Logs attached.

Cheers.

I'll be following this thread with great interest! I can't read Chinese characters unfortunately, but the Hauppauge device looks a LOT like a couple of Avermedia devices (makes sense I guess as the s/w is the same... )

http://www.everbesthk.com/avermedia/volardmb.htm

The only thing I'm wary of with the Haup is DMB-T vs. the standard in HK being DMB-TH , although I haven't quite got my head around DMB-T, DMB-H and DMB-TH or DMB-T/H.

This site http://hilary.e-fever.org/?p=238 discusses the Avermedia 855 and the person (Ben?) developed a patch for the AverMedia s/w. They also talked about BDA drivers after I posted a question, so I guess it's possible.

This thread http://forum.hkepc.com/viewthread.php?tid=901447 (which I simply cannot read), "seems" to be suggesting you need some serious computing power for higher res. i.e. these devices are all s/w, no hardware encoding, which I'd prefer.

k.
    Last edited by jksmurf; 2008-02-24 at 07:32 AM. Reason: added WIKI Link to DMB-TH
    ASUS P5K-PRO Q9300 2.5GHz | Win7x64 | 6GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD3400 PCIe Video Card | 1 x WinTV DMB-TH | Various HD's | AC66U | USB-UIRT | PCH-A100 | Hauppauge Colossus |
    If you've ever become frustrated because something in GBPVR or NPVR is not working, take a moment and consider this and this and this and this and this and this. Credit where credit's due; for one guy (with a wife and two kids), most problems are solved outrageously quickly. Patience.

Can you run the Filtercheck.exe utility in the gbpvr directory then zip and attach the filtercheck.log that gets created?

Here it is. As you will notice I also have an ASUS TV7134 analog TV card in there. Thanks.

Try adding this to your bda.ini to get the digital side going:
    Code:
    [Hauppauge DMB-T HDTV/SDTV]
    TUNING_TYPE=DVB-T
    FILTER_TUNER=Digital TV
    FILTER_CAPTURE=AVStream TS Capture
    PIN_TUNER_IN=Input0
    PIN_TUNER_OUT=MPEG2 Transport
    PIN_CAPTURE_IN=MPEG2 Transport
    PIN_CAPTURE_OUT=MPEG2 Transport
    NOTE: I don't know what TUNING_TYPE type you need so I guessed. You may need to change it. If you have a DMB-T provider, you may need to set it to that.

After editing BDA.ini I am able to scan some channels. Two channels for each TV channel appear, one the appears as channel's name, another as the channel's name post-fixed with "(AC3)".

I took all the non-AC3 channels and mapped them.

With LiveTV I get a combination of picture, no-picture, sound, no-sound, pops and squeaks, and scrambled picture for the channels. No channel has both picture and sound.

With LiveTV I get a combination of picture, no-picture, sound, no-sound, pops and squeaks, and scrambled picture for the channels. No channel has both picture and sound.
    Reproduce the problem, then zip and attach the logs and I'll take a look. It may be due to a lack of suitable AC3 decoder being installed. Maybe try installing AC3Filter.

A screenshot of what the scrambled picture looks like would also be useful.

I upgraded AC3Filter to 1.46 and it seems to have fixed the sound problems with some of the channels.

I have provided the logs and screenshot to one SDTV channel and one HDTV channel. I changed to the relevant channel, took a screenshot, then exited pvrx2, and zipped the logs.

Some other channels are just blank and I've had some freezes, ATi VPU crashes, and KBD.exe crashes, but I guess one bug at a time.

I didnt realise they were using H.264 in that part of the world.

Here in New Zealand our DVB-T system also uses H.264 video. I use the Cyberlink H.264 decoder to view these channels. I've never used the mainconcept decoder shown in your logs, but I have to assume it is the cause of these problems you're seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    I didnt realise they were using H.264 in that part of the world.
    Yup, from the WIKI, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMB-T/H#Hong_Kong_SAR

Related technologies

As a result of no definite video codec being set for the standard, this lead to a discussion of the final video codec to be implemented in Hong Kong. The discussion between two operators, TVB and ATV, lasted for a considerable period. In October 2007, both broadcasting companies had agreed in November 2007 to utilize MPEG2 video format for simulcasting channels (TVB Jade, ATV Home, TVB Pearl and ATV World), and the H.264 format will be implemented for all digital broadcasting only channels [4]. For the audio codec, usual DTMB set-top boxes will support MPEG-1 Audio Layer II (MP2) for stereo audio tracks, and Dolby AC-3 for surround sound audio tracks.
    ASUS P5K-PRO Q9300 2.5GHz | Win7x64 | 6GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD3400 PCIe Video Card | 1 x WinTV DMB-TH | Various HD's | AC66U | USB-UIRT | PCH-A100 | Hauppauge Colossus |
    If you've ever become frustrated because something in GBPVR or NPVR is not working, take a moment and consider this and this and this and this and this and this. Credit where credit's due; for one guy (with a wife and two kids), most problems are solved outrageously quickly. Patience.