Thread: GBPVR prevents Standby

GBPVR prevents Standby

Hi

after using the search without success I wuold like to ask for support / comments on the following problem:

I would like to use the Stanby of my pc in the future and tried to set up everything properly but it only suspends to Standby when GBPVR is not running.
    Checking in the taskmanager I see that GBPVR will use around 20% CPU every 3 to 4 seconds before falling bak to 0%. I suspect this keeps XP from suspending.
    Any idea why GBPVR does this? I already tried switching off all plugins without success. As soon as GBPVR is switched of, 5 minutes later (as set up in the Power-Managment of XP) the PC suspends just fine.

Manually suspending to standby also works with GBPVR running...

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Piotre
    __

PIII 1GHZ, 1GB RAM 200+160GB HD
    Hauppauge WINTV PVR 350
    XP SP2 MCE
    GB-PVR v.1.1.5

I'm not aware of it doing anything that would stop it going into standby. May be look in the log files to see if you see any message corresponding with the time you see these 20% CPU spikes you see every 3 to 4 seconds.

Itīs kind of weird but it suspends just fine now and I did not change anything...
    The 20% CPU usage thing is still present but seems not to do any harm.
    I will watch the system and if it reoccures check the log as you said.

Thanks,
    Piotre
    __

PIII 1GHZ, 1GB RAM 200+160GB HD
    Hauppauge WINTV PVR 350
    XP SP2 MCE
    GB-PVR v.1.1.5

I discovered that my system sometimes refuses to goto sleep, a reboot always fixes it.

Hans
    AMD Athlon 64 3000, HDD: 80, 120, 200 GB, Hauppauge 350 + 150, MVP, Asus 6000L Laptop client, Asus X50sl client,
    Fritz!box 7140 modem/router, GBPVR 1.3.7.

Quote Originally Posted by HtV View Post
    I discovered that my system sometimes refuses to goto sleep, a reboot always fixes it.
    Same here. I wish for more m/s docs on standby/hibernate.

I had a similar unreliability problem with the stand-by mode. The PC would fail to go to sleep if it had not been restarted in more than a day.

So, I just created a windows scheduled task to automatically restart the PC every day 10 minutes after it wakes up to update the EPG. It has been running for almost two months without stand-by problems.
    (Mitsubishi WD-65732 HDTV) (AMD Athlon 64 3200+ & 768MB DDR) (nVidia GeForce 6150) (250GB 7200RPM HD) (2 x Hauppauge PVR-150MCE) (XGene Imperial RF Keyboard) (MS MCE Remote+IR transceiver and Logitech Harmony 676 RC) (GB-PVR v1.1.5 (PVRX2) running on Windows XP Pro SP2) (5 GB-PVR Clients via FastEthernet/100Mbit LAN)

I've been having this problem for a month or two now where it would sometimes go into standby but more often than not it wouldn't.

As I'm sure everyone knows it's not always easy to pinpoint what is actually keeping the PC awake but through trial and error I think I've narrowed it down to the GBPVR recording service. I still want to do some more testing to confirm but the last 4-5 times it has failed to go into standby I've restarted the recording service and 10 minutes later it goes into standby as it should.

It then behaves normally for a while but within a day or so it will fail to standby again so even if it is the recording service it's not consistent in keeping the PC awake. Perhaps it only happens after the recording service has done a recording or performed some other task that it gets stuck.

I've got a scheduled task that runs at 23:30 to change the power scheme from "Always On" to "standby after 10 minutes" so it should go to sleep before midnight if nothing is recording. I'm going to set up a scheduled script to run in the early hours of the morning (if the PC is still awake) to check if a recording is running and if not then restart the recording service (I've actually got something similar in place already but it just reboots the PC - got tired of waking up to find my HTPC still humming away in the morning! ). If it consistently goes to sleep 10 minutes after the task runs then I think I can safely assume it's the recording service that's keeping my PC awake.

I've noticed a few posts recently about similar problems:
    http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=32365
    http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=32154

I'm not sure if it started after upgrading from 1.0.16 to 1.1.5 or whether it might be related to a MS .net2 update. If I convince myself it's definitely the recording service then I might revert to 1.0.16 and see if the behaviour changes.

If anyone else finds a solutions let us know.

Cheers
    Tony
    Nomad101

Core2Duo 2.6GHz, 2GB Ram, 1.5TB HD, Asus HD3650, Nova-T PCI & Nova-T 500, Zalman HD160XT Case, GBPVR 1.4.7 ( + Weather and Music Library 2)

Sorry I can't be much help other than to say I've also pinned it down to the recording service, and this has been consistent through the last few versions (1.0.8, 1.0.16, 1.1.5).

Unfortunately sub has tested this and can't see anything that might be preventing standby/hibernate.

I set up a new machine recently and had all sorts of standby issues - most disappointing because my old machine had the same problems and I thought a new one would solve this. Was I wrong.

Then I found the MCE Standby Tool and it fixed all my problems.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hveijk/mst/indexe.htm

Oh thank you great MCE Tool Master Creator

(It can work as a stand-alone .exe, or you can install for more advanced options).
    HTPC's - The dream and the reality are a universe apart.